out2hunt

Late season success for two great kids!

This write up has been a long time coming, I apologize to shedhunteraz for waiting so long to give the details of our son's successful late season bull hunts in Az. The whole thing starts out amazing in the fact that our sons put in on their own apps and both had hunted elk the season prior, so we didn't think they stood a chance at drawing in 2014. Well the day the results were released, we found out that both of them had drawn, individually for the same late season rifle bull hunt. I immediately started to strech the connections for tips and possible land access for the boys to use, only to find out the area I was given info on is a known spot for a couple of the guide services to utilize for their clients. Kevin assured me that we would not have any issues finding the bulls elswhere, but that the boys would have to be fit and be able to shoot out to 700 yards. The praticed insued and Matthew took no time at all to group at 680 with his 270. post-1272-0-95877000-1420145168_thumb.jpg

Finally, Thanksgiving had arrived and the truck was packed. We were ready for whatever God would bless us with over the next 7 days, hopeful that Matthew would be able to harvest his first antlered animal. The year prior Dieon had harvested his first bull, so the expectations were for more fun and success in 2014. Matthew and I kissed the family and headed up to our friend (Kevin Lawhorn) place, the perfect cabin getaway and base camp for our expeditions. Grandpa Jeff had joined us for the fun, which made it extra special his grandson Deion. Opening morning came and we were on the mountain hiking well before dawn, stategically placing ourselves in the optimal glassing position for the terrain surrounding us. Immediately we pick up 9 bulls directly across the canyon from us, but they were all spikes and forkies. It was fun for the boys to watch them spare on the crest of the ridgeline, as they fought and fed towards the bottom of the canyon below. Later in the afternoon from another vantage point we were able to glass up a couple of bulls at last light, but they were too far away to make a play on them. Day one in the books we had seen 15 elk 6 of which were cow or calf. The whole crew was exhausted from all the glassing and hiking we had done on day one, so the five of us went back to the cabin and pigged out. Kevin and I scoured over google earth with anticipations of the coming morning, hoping to find access points near the ridges we had glassed that afternoon. I would like to thank Kevin for streching his resources and calling a friend for a bit of advice (Dave with ADA) is an outstanding person who is very knowledgeable about the unit we were in and helped tremendously with tid bits of information that would eventually lead to the successful navigation into the area we desired to hunt. Day two found us an hour early to our spot, which meant some waiting in the dead cold of the sunless morning.post-1272-0-43036700-1420146415_thumb.jpg

The sunrise came and we were at the glass again hard and heavy with no luck to speak of, see we were glassing elk that had moved up the canyon another mile plus away. post-1272-0-79560600-1420146558_thumb.jpg

Feeling inspired to go after them, the boys and i dropped into the canyon to try to hike up on them from the bottom. We ran into navigational issues that left us retreating back to the ranger. After eating we climbed the mountain again to continue afternoon glassing. The day came to an end as we watched some mue deer file into a water hole at the bottom of the canyon, while a lone coues buck exited the top of the ajoining canyon wall across from us. Replenishment seemed even more important after day two, I had dehydrated and caught a bit of monkeybutt. When I say Kevin has just about everything needed for the cabin life, I mean he even had two forms of powder to help with my problem. (One being called monkeybutt no less!) The third morning found us hiking into an area we had not been before, so hopes were high that we might find a place to glass from. This country was thick with vegetation and unforgiving to the body and equipment, but as my son said "I wanted to hunt ........wildernes area, but I didn't realize it would be this tough." As we descended of the ridgetop, we found a clearing to glass from and were on elk in moments. After some assesment (which I may have rushed) my son said he would take the bull 463 yards away. We quickly set up the tripod with the triclawps attachment and settled his 270 in its grip. I dial him in with the phone app and we set the magnification (Which I was wrong on intitially) and he shoots over his back. The bull doesn't move much as he is feeding slowly towards the bottom of the canyon, so matt shoots again and the bull responds like it has been hit, but the shot looked back so he racks another round and misses high again. I tell my son to calm himself and to make this last round count, as the words left my mouth he rocked the bull and down he went, tumbling towards the bottom. The cheer and excitement was lackluster due to the shock Matthew was experiencing. As I look back at the canyon, Kevin is already on the task of visually confirming his resting spot. I turn to Deion who has a look of excitemnet for Matthew on his face and said what do you think, his response was priceless "I think thats a dead bull". As I turned to talk to Kevin I noticed another large bull across the canyon that had stood during the comotion and was standing broadside at 577 yards. He was a shooter and the 7mm mag was dropped in the triclawps and Kevin dialed his son in, (BOOM) one shot and that bull dropped where he stood! The ripple effect of his hide from the K.E. was outstanding to see through the 15x swaros. Congrats and Thanks were given and the work began, first bull down at 755 second at 758. The end of the day came at 537 pm thanks in part to the help from Jason, Kevin's brother in law. Thanks for sharing in our hunt. Kevin Lawhorn (shedhunteraz) your a true friend and an outstanding hunter, we feel blessed to share time with you and the lawhorn family! post-1272-0-40197500-1420148226_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-17135400-1420148274_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-58539200-1420148323_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-49728700-1420148375_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Congrats to those young men. Looks like a lot of fun and a lot of work.

• Like 2

Congrats to the young hunters and the dads! Great harvest and lifelong memories!

• Like 1

Awesome story, great bulls. Congrats to the young men and the Dads that took the time to teach the young guys.

• Like 1

Awesome shooting!! Huge congrats to everyone!

• Like 1