Sign in to follow this  
bigorange

"Impossible" hunts to draw

Sort of trivial, but I also have a reason for asking. What are the statistically "impossible" hunts to draw for both elk and antelope with 1 hunter ed BP?

My reason for asking is that my son doesn't want to hunt this year, but I want to buy him a bonus point. He turns 10 in June...so can't just buy a bonus point (have to be 10) but he can apply for a hunt since he'll turn 10 before the hunt.

I've seen folks talk about which hunts get filled in the bonus pass, but is this information available anywhere? I haven't seen it on the AZGFD site, but not the first time I've been looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!

Just apply for any early rifle bull tag, 1 choice only and with 0 points he will be about 1 in 10,000 to draw. If by chance he does draw donate the tag to hunt of a life time and make some other kid really happy for the cost of only one bonus point.

• Like 5

Your son doesn't want to hunt?????

Oh my!!!!

My son is frothing at the mouth already for next year and keeps yapping about it...can't shut him up.

Course that's not a bad thing, I'm the same way. Lol

If your son does draw an "impossible to draw" tag all I can say is "Dad!!!!!!, when we hunting?" Lol

• Like 1

Sending you a PM. Hope you had a great new year !

my brother posed this same question years ago. because he could not hunt, new baby, job, move planned from tucson to phx during hunt season, etc.

I said "apply for the north rim, you will never get it"

He drew it and went hunting, got his largest mulie to date. PROUD of him for that!

More D

I know it's hard to imagine, but I think the reality of being able to hunt big game hit him and scared him. He loves shooting and going out hunting with me, so I don't want to pressure him or make him hunt with his own tag until he's ready. Planning on getting him a deer tag this fall and taking him to one of the youth camps so he can see other kids hunting too. I'm sure this will pass eventually, but I don't want to ruin hunting for him by forcing him but also want to get bonus points in the meantime. I was thinking any early rifle hunt would do the trick too...

• Like 3

If you are a Resident of Arizona there is no hunt that is "impossible" to draw. 80% of the tags are available to folks who may not have any bonus points. If someone with no points draws a low enough random number during the 1/2 pass they can draw ANY tag!

• Like 2

Would have to think that some of the sheep hunts with 1 tag would be quite impossible with the amount of people with the max. May be wrong.

post-10954-0-14753300-1421352045.jpg

• Like 1

Bigorange,

I totally understand what your saying about not pressuring the kid, that's smart of you.

Starting out my son was totally scared of recoil....even a .22 rimfire, one day I had him sitting on my lap and was trying to get him to pull the trigger but he wouldn't.....I couldn't take it anymore so I reached up and quickly slapped the trigger.

He was shocked but replied that wasn't so bad, after that I couldn't pull him from the gun.

Now only 3 yrs later he has shot my 12 gauge supermagnum on turkeys....but that's another story because that shotgun totally bowled him over.

He laughed about that.

Anyway, what I'm saying is I slowly introduced him into guns and he loves them.

He now has his own .243 a .357 maximum contender rifle and is hoping to get a 20 gauge shotgun of his own.

Good luck, I'm sure he will take to it.

Would have to think that some of the sheep hunts with 1 tag would be quite impossible with the amount of people with the max. May be wrong.

It all depends on the draw preferences of the max point holders for that year. If none of the max point holders who had a low enough number to draw in the bonus round selected the hunt with one tag it will go into the 1/2 pass where anyone could have access to the tag including someone with zero points. Remember for sheep 20% of the overall number of tags go into the bonus round, not 20% per hunt like other species. I know this for a fact because I drew sheep with way less than maximum bonus points and I had tag number 1. If sheep tags were set aside by hunt number my hunt, which had 5 tags, would have had one set aside for a max point holder, and there's a sheep on my wall to prove that didn't happen.