Redman

diesel owners school me please

Hi All,

I have had the same truck since 2001, 1/2 ton. Great truck.. but getting long in the tooth.

Also considering a 5th wheel for camping.

What used diesel truck series / years should I AVOID? If you where going to acquire a used diesel (4x4) would you get?

Haha avoid ford 2003.5-2010, dodge 2007.5 2008 and 9, im sure someone will chime in and say theirs is great but that would be the exception not the rule.

The 2000 - 2003 F250 with the 7.3 is a great vehicle if you can find one with low mileage. Downside is lower HP than the newer 6.0 which began production in 2003 and that it has a straight front axle. I have a 2000 I bought new in 2/00 and with 267K on the clock I done little other than replace tires and change the oil which takes 15 qts.

I have replaced the radiator, a couple of water pumps upgraded the alternator and the glow plug relay and one glow plug.

The newer 6.0 which came out in 2003 has more power and the only issue I know of with them has been with the factory oil cooler getting clogged due to the way it was designed, but Bullet Proof Diesel in Mesa redesigned it and patented their design and it what the 6.0 owners all install in them for longevity. I believe in about 2004 or 2005 the F250 went to an independent front suspension which gives the truck a tighter turning radius and is a popular swap.

I am a professional diesel mechanic.

My personal needs boarder a 3/4-1ton vehicle I've had a few of each.

Now I drive a gas 1/2 ton.

I'm no pro but do not buy a 2003-2007 6.0 powerstroke. Everyone I know has had so many problems with the. Ford actually got sued because people were fed up having to pay to fix them. My dad had some cylinders go out 5 different times, oil cooler multiple times and other problems. just read about them on the net and it's sad how much money people have wasted to keep them running. Some guys say you can fix them by switching some stuff out but why should you have to fix your brand new truck that should be running fine in the first place?

The new 6.7 powerstroke is a beast. That would be my choice.

The Dodge with the 5.9 L Cummins is great. I love the engine on mine, but if I had to do it again, I would buy a manual transmission. The engine just makes too much HP for the tranny to handle

Having said that, Andy if you are interested in a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9L send me a mesage.

Depending on your needs, for towing can't beat a diesel. 3/4 ton gas will do just fine if not pulling all the time. My preference/personal vehicle is a Ford 4x4 with the 7.3. Runs great, suits my needs , and has not left me. Maintenance is key -regardless of what you drive. Good luck finding what suits your needs.

Towing or just driving in town or highway. I do not think any of the diesels can hold a candle to mpg the Cummins 5.9L gets. I'm sure folks will add some comments to this one. I bought my 99 Dodge 2500 in '05 with 89k on it. Just hit 188K this week. Love this truck and it is my daily driver and I tow my 96' 30foot travel trailer with ease and good mpg.

Good luck hope this helps.

Jimmy

• Like 1

Don't let people scare you away wih the ford 6.0 2003-2007. I have the 2006 and tows great. Lots of power from just a 6.0. But if you do go that route the 6.0 do have the problems. The main problem to all 6.0 major engine problems are the oiler cooler and EGR. You get those replaced with Bullet Proof Diesel aftermarket products not Ford replacement part, the truck will do just fine with those. If you find a truck with 80 to 100k miles on it make sure you knock them down to 10k to 12 k because I guaranty you that EGR or oiler cooler are about to go out. It's about 5k to put those in. So that will equalize it up to 15k-17k which is about right. That's why you can find great deals on 6.0s. But you need to Bullet Proof. If they said they already did you better see that in writing and receipts. If you want to chip out the truck you are probably better off putting head studs on in to while your in there. Mine is on a low street performance tune and I dont have heads. and my mechanic say that tune is fine but any higher performance you need them studded.

Ditto on the 6.0 power stroke. Loved that truck, hated the engine and associated repair costs.

12 valve cummins with a 5 stick. Now that's bullet proof.

• Like 2