Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Archery Deer hunts north of the rim in Dec/Jan?

Hey All,

The Arizona Deer Association is looking for some feedback from hunters on the idea of adding a late archery deer season in the northern units like we have in the southern half of the sate. I didn't even realize it before, but apparently, units up north like 3A, 3C, 4A, etc don't have Dec/Jan Archery Deer hunts. What do you guys think about the dept adding in a hunt during that time?

Too cold for my blood, but still the more opportunity the better. If it gets even a couple guys out of my units, I'm all for it! :D :ph34r:

If this hunt was in addition to the August hunt, I would be all for it. I would not want to give up August to get December.

If it will take some of the heat off of unit 27 in January, i am all about it! the city slickers won't have to drive 5 hours just to drive up and down the highway "hunting" all day

• Like 1

Of course more opportunity is good but I wouldn't want to set more precedence for archery deer tags going to a draw.

Just FYI...If anyone has any questions on this please feel free to e-mail me directly at (azdeer1@cox.net) If I do not have the answer I will get you the answer !!...Thank you Dave Bruns ( VP ) Az Deer Association

• Like 1

LOL. Always amazes me, everyone on this site pisses and moans about AGFD giving out too many deer tags.. So, AZ deer Association decides to ask the hunters if they would be in favor of this?, and it is an overwhelming YES!!!! More opportunity is always a good thing. I just hope the same people who are for it, have not commented on trophy hunts vs. hunter opportunity on this board. WAFFLERS'!!!

• Like 1

^^^^ I agree.

Also, Adding another archery hunt will most likely hurt the mule deer numbers in those units that already tend to have declining mule deer numbers?

• Like 1

LOL. Always amazes me, everyone on this site pisses and moans about AGFD giving out too many deer tags.. So, AZ deer Association decides to ask the hunters if they would be in favor of this?, and it is an overwhelming YES!!!! More opportunity is always a good thing. I just hope the same people who are for it, have not commented on trophy hunts vs. hunter opportunity on this board. WAFFLERS'!!!

Was thinking the same thing. When rifle tags are reduced to make room for the archery hunts will you all be complaining that you haven't drawn a rifle tag in so many years? Opportunity is great, until the resource is no longer worth the opportunity.

• Like 1

I would be THRILLED if they cut maybe 100 of the 875 unit 7 rifle mule deer tags to make way for December archery. According to reported success that would mean 20 fewer bucks would be harvested on the rifle hunt, and only a fraction of that number would be harvested by bow hunters.

So tell me again, who loses in this situation? I mean other than the guy who chooses to go hunt deer with his bow in sub freezing temps?

• Like 1