Basser15

Opening Day Goulds

Been a while since I've shared a success story. This Spring I was double fortunate to draw a Goulds and a Buffalo tag. After spending the early part of the year trying to find some Buffs off the park I shifted gears to my Goulds tag for a few weeks. A couple scouting trips led to some awesome country and a good amount of birds.

0418150632.jpg

0418151332.jpg

I made the trip down there late after work on Thursday and got set up in the canyon I had wanted to be. Found 5 birds gobbling on the roost and countless hens yelping all around. I wish I could say that I called them in straight off the roost but that didn't happen. Once they flew down (super early I might add) they went in to the field in the opposite direction. Once I realized that they were headed the other way I was able to find where they were going and was able to set up in front of them as they were feeding. Not the textbook call in but sometimes you have to hunt and adapt.

0424150641a.jpg

He has a 10+ inch beard and a 1 inch and 1.5 inch spurs

2015-04-24.jpg

Since I was done by 6:15 opening morning I then packed up and headed north to the Kaibab to spend the rest of the weekend looking for some animals just a little bit bigger. Unfortunately the weather and the animals didn't cooperate as well as the turkey.

0425152200.jpg

Will be headed back up for Buffalo as soon as I can get past this "work" thing this week...

• Like 6

Great Goulds, nicely done. Good luck on the Bison, its going to warm up nicely this week, hope you get on them.

Darn nice bird 1.5 in. spur is great for a Gould's, nice paintbrush beard too. Good luck on the Buffalo

Awesome Bird ... hate seeing your camp torn up in the snow like that, but as least it is in prep for another good Hunt ... Good luck up there !

• Like 1

Congratulations on your gobbler. Awesome bird for sure. Good luck on the buffalo. :)

TJ

Beautiful Goulds, congrats! Hope you get in on a buffalo!

That's a great looking bird congrats I heard of 3 buffalo getting taken last week before the storm good luck on your hunt