Sign in to follow this  
6ANut

The long season?

I got done shooting my bow with my little brother at Ben Avery on Saturday and went to the Irish bar on the other side of the freeway. I was talking to some old timer and he told me about how he shot all these deer up in Wyoming while he lived there during the "long season." So I asked wtf is he long season? "O my friend that's when all the hunters are waiting to get drawn and I have the woods all to myself."

Almost dropped him right in his barstool but it's hard to wreck a guy double my age.

Glad my grandpa, who was born and raised in az, taught me the right way. Miss ya Pa.

There are still a lot of guys hunting that season. As far as elk goes I'm starting to think they have the right idea. Kidding

• Like 1

Nice. Guess aholes come in all different colors, shapes, sizes and ages too.

When you meet people like that you just need to remember there's no fixing stupid or selfishness.

• Like 2

I have heard similar stories I think these guys grew up that way and they think its perfectly normal to shoot a deer or elk when ever they want

You should turn him in to Wyoming fish & game ! They will investigate it for poaching.

Back on the farm in Minnesota, my Grandpa used to carry his lever action rifle in the tractor. When he saw a deer eating in his field he would shoot it, and leave it to rot, or at least that's what I was told. He must have passed those bad traits on to my uncle. I went on vacation up to northern Minnesota to visit my cousins. One night they said we were going "Spotlighting". I didn't know what the heck it meant, and they said you could see deer at night. Sure enough we spotlight a deer, and dipstick uncle pulls out a rifle, and let's loose. They never found that deer. Fish and Game show up to the farm the next day, and searched it, because my Uncle was well known to them, as someone made a call reporting gunfire that previous night. Scared the crap out of me. I'm glad I am not like them.

• Like 2

I'm from Minnesota too. An old hermit named Hank owned about 300 acres of woodlands down the road from our cabin. He lived in a home he built, and lived off the land. Had a wood fired stove in his house. Just to make coffee in morning he had to build a fire in the stove. He killed a deer every now and then to eat, to live. That's how he did it his whole life and I see nothing wrong with it. Deer there are over populated anyway. Most seasons you can't even kill a buck until you fulfill an obligation to kill a doe. Some people just live different lives. I believe landowners should have more rights to harvest on their land (state by state basis)

• Like 1

I'm from Minnesota too. An old hermit named Hank owned about 300 acres of woodlands down the road from our cabin. He lived in a home he built, and lived off the land. Had a wood fired stove in his house. Just to make coffee in morning he had to build a fire in the stove. He killed a deer every now and then to eat, to live. That's how he did it his whole life and I see nothing wrong with it. Deer there are over populated anyway. Most seasons you can't even kill a buck until you fulfill an obligation to kill a doe. Some people just live different lives. I believe landowners should have more rights to harvest on their land

I disagree. If every landowner did this or all the people living off the land OR say they are, it would have a HUGE impact on the numbers of game in the wild.

• Like 1

Yeah I guess you are right. He should just collect food stamps like everyone else and ride his tractor to the grocery store to buy groceries, sucking off the government's tit like everyone else instead of minding his own business and living self sustained.

• Like 5

Yeah I guess you are right. He should just collect food stamps like everyone else and ride his tractor to the grocery store to buy groceries, sucking off the government's tit like everyone else instead of minding his own business and living self sustained.

You really have issues. Keep thinking like you do and while your at it go poach a few yourself. All you have to do is say you are living off the land. Makes sense to me.

if it was an irish bar, maybe he was just drunk and usin' a little o' the blarney. you know, BS'in' ya. old guys from different places have different views. i wouldn't put a ho' buncha worry into it. no sense it beatin' each other up because some guy from wyoming got drunk and was talkin' $h!t in Az. Lark.

• Like 7

I agree with Curtis, I once met an old cow boy who told me they would go out on the mountain and take meat when they needed meat, the populations do fine when that's the case....things don't get screwed over from people like that its all the "weekend warriors" we have going out with the 1000 tags game and fish pumps out that screws with things over...

• Like 2

NOBODY should be able to keep you from feeding your family... That said, it is a fine line to be walking. Not my bag but who am I.

• Like 3

Maybe not legally, but in my opinion, there is a difference between taking game out of season for the sole purpose of food to survive, and poaching like the other 99% of poachers do. Most who take game out of season for the purpose of survival don't shoot the monster bulls/bucks/rams.

• Like 5

If a herd feed off you all year I think you ought to be allowed to butcher one

• Like 1