kennyazman

Going from 15x58 to 12x50. Will I regret it?

I'm thinking about selling my minox 15x58's and switching to either the meopta (cabelas euro) 12x50's or the vortex razor 12x50's. I know this has probably been brought up already but I would like to hear some thoughts on guys who have made the switch to the 12's from 15's. One of my main reasons for switching is to lower my pack weight. normally what I do is carry my 15's in my pack and my 10x42's on my chest until I get to my glassing spot and then pull out the tripod and 15's. I would like to have just the 12's on my chest and then put them on the tripod. I am planning on going deep into wilderness for my elk hunt this year so the less weight the better. so my question is, do you think i'll regret it?

Also I would like to know if there is a big difference in quality from the newer meopta hd 12x50's and the model that is non-hd. Reason I ask is because on binostore.com I can buy a pair of the meostar non-hd 12x50's for like $800.00. I'd love to hear your thoughts and reviews on these particular binoculars.

• Like 1

Just did the switch from Kaibab 15s to 12x50 razors. The clarity edge to edge is better. Yes they are not swarovskis but I love them. As far as saving weight...That's why I did the switch, that and the quality. With the 12s you can cut right through the sun glare. I have no complaints about switching. As far as the euro glass goes...I heard they are amazing but i've never personally looked through them. Either way i'm sure you'll be happy with a pair of 12's

I don't think you will regret it. Last season I quit carrying my 15's on archery hunts and just carry my 10's and on my rifle hunts I just carry my 15's. I did this for the same reason. I have some buddies who just carry 12's and they have no complaints.

I did the same but went back to 15's for coues. For elk 12's are just fine. My problem with coues hunting was with 12's (swaro el) i still felt i needed a spotter even at 1000 yds which defeated my purpose in getting 12's. I sold them and went back to 15's since i dont carry a spotter.

• Like 1

With better glass, you will see more game even when going down in magnification.

I can honestly say, to my eyes, the Meopta Euros HDs are a far better glass the the Vortex Razor HD.

And there is a difference between he Meopta Euro and the newer HD version. I have compared them side by side.

I switched from the minox 15x58 to swaro 12x50's. I have had them about a year now. The weight savings is a huge plus. I carry the 12s around my neck now too, which cleared some room in my pack. I loved my minox but I don't regret making the switch at all.

There are times when I wish I had a pair of 8s or 10s around my neck, if im in thick cover but otherwise the 12x50s are a great compromise.

I did not even notice the loss in magnification.

Have you thought of the Leica Duovids 10+15 ? They would save weight and space over having two pairs of binos and cover both magnification powers. This is the direction I went several years ago to consolidate my Minox 15x58 and a pair of 10x. You should be able to find a used pair for around 1800.

I've never had 15's....my buddy does. I have always used 12's. First Pentax, now Leicas. They are lighter and smaller than 15's, with a bit more magnification than 10's. I mostly use them on a tripod, but still can free-hand...especially on top of a walkin' stick. For short hikes, I carry a 65mm spotter, but when I go deep, I carry a doubler. Besides, my buddy has the 15's if I need the extra magnification ;)

I when from swaro 15s to swaro 12x50el. I don't regret it at all. I don't notice the less magnification but the increased clarity finds more critters

I would never get rid of my 15's.

I'm not sure what everyone is talking about with clarity issues in the 15's. Unless it's with less quality optics. Swaros are the only route I have gone. My 15's are as clear as any of the 10's I have looked through. I haven't looked trough the 12's though. I carry my 15's in a Bino harness on my chest. Haven't ever had a problem. They are a little shaky if your busting brush and breathing hard but when I see something I wanna shoot there's no second guessing. Plus having walking sticks and trees to lean against can always get more stable. Sometimes it's a bummer when your glassing close stuff cause it takes a little longer but I'm a firm believer in being able to see through brush. Higher power has paid off more times then not. 15's around my neck and big eyes in the pack.......watch out!!!!

• Like 1