apache12

Solid copper bullet better performance on larger animals or smaller coues?

so I'm intrigued by the accuracy from solid copper bullets like Barnes ttsx. So I thinking of loading up some for either my 30-06 in 168grn for an October bear hunt

Or in 257wby 100gr for a November coues hunt

I know shot placement is always key

But assuming it's not a heart shot but say a lung shot and no bone contact at between 300 and 400 yards

Do solid copper perform better on a tougher hide and skin animal like a bear. My fear on a coues is it runs straight through and maybe a long track is in order

In. Looking at Barnes website it seems like most of their video showed African hunts

Nary a problem here, my son shot a coues 2 yrs ago at 400 yds with the 80 grain ttsx in his .243

it opened up and the little buck only went about 30 yds before giving up the ghost, course those 30 yds were rolling downhill.

lol.

They will be just fine.

• Like 1

With the solid copper bullets you don't have to aim for bone, but they will penetrate both shoulders of very large animals. The last hunt I had was a mule deer hunt, the bullet didn't hit any bone punched straight through both lungs at about 300 yards, and left a 1.5 in. exit, the animal drop at the shot. I do try to aim for the shoulders though, these bullets don't blood shot the meat like cup and core bullets do.

Mule deer last year with .270 TTSX at 250 yds. No bone, straight through lungs. Lung looked like had been hit with a 4-blade broad head from the petaling and huge exit hole. Went maybe 50 yds.

I shot my first Coues with a 120gr X bullet handload and it dropped in it's track. The shot was about 200 yards in the early 90's before anyone used rangefinders. The rifle was a Model 700 in 7 Mag and if memory serves me the load was about 69 grains of RL22 at about 3350fps.

The shot was at about a 20 degrees angle down and the bullet was just a few inches to the left of the spine and I lost about golf ball sized piece of meat.

That load also has worked well on Mule Deer, Black Bear and Caribou.

Been using the 168 gr TTSX for the past few years in both my 30-06 & my 300wm. With that ballistic tip, them bullets open up as soon as they penetrate the skin. If you lung shoot a deer or bear without hitting bone, it'll still turn the lungs into jelly. I highly recommend them.

So far all my guns love the ttsx. used my .308 in Wisconsin 2 years back, shot was up hill in thick brush head on shot. bullet entered the sternum opened the heart, popped it like a balloon then snapped the spine just above and behind the lungs and had that perfect flower shape when it was all over and recovered. was nice that it used up al the energy in the animal.

.25-06 Ackley Imp. 100 gr. TTSX @ 3600 FPS. 488 yard mule deer quartering on. Entered right shoulder, took a out lungs and heart was jelly. Exited left hip. No bone contact. Deer stood for a few seconds dead on its feet, then went straight over backwards without a twitch or kick.

• Like 1

^^^ same bullet, same velocity, but out of a 257 wby. One shot kills on 3 coues, one spike elk, and 3 javelina.

In fact, on just over 20 kills between me and family the last few years using my handloads with the TTSX in seven calibers (from 221 fireball up to 30-06), we have never had to take a second shot and have never lost a critter. We've missed a few, but that wasn't the bullet's fault.

Killed A LOT of critters with the TTSX. From fox,javelina,deer up to Kudu, hartebeest and wildebeste, from 257 wby and 300 wsm. They work fantastic. I have witnessed more DRT's with that combo then anything else. I would suggest pushing them HARD and aim for bone. If you get your 257 wby running 3400+, and hit a shoulder the chances are the deer will fall so fast you will think you missed. My brother did that to me on a cow elk with my 257.

100 grn or 80gr on 257wby?

I think I'm going to try and load RL 25

Copper great love the barns thru my 300 ultra mag, need to clean barrel more often or you'll start casing them. And great for the health of our birds of pray. My opinion

never been on a deer hunt with em, but i refuse to even hunt with anyone that uses copper bullets for elk. biggest farce i've ever seen. some even with a .338/.378, direct lung shots, barely missed the heart, one bull ran over half a mile, over a big knoll and off into the jack pines. had to track it with lanterns. another was hit 2 times in the lungs, good shots, with the same rifle. only way we caught up with it is he hit it in a front and hind leg and busted the joints too. i think it would have gotten away if he didn't hit the legs. still made it a half mile into the trees. another horrible recovery job. every elk i've ever seen shot with a copper bullet ran off. with big rifles too. and any one of them wouldn't have made it 100 yds with a .243 and lead bullets. a couple years ago i was with 4 guys, 3 used barnes, one guy used winchester silvertips. all shot good 6x6's. all 3 with barnes ran off, with good lung shots. had to be tracked down, with a lotta effort. the one with silvertips made it maybe 50 yards. i hear people talk em up, but i've had nothing but bad experiences with em. Lark.