trphyhntr

How much $$$ to find one?

I know a guy who posted pix of a really great bull during the summer, got contacted by some outfitters guiding an auction tag, went through G&F to get his guide license before he could accept the "finder's fee" (substantial $$). Problem is, the bull was close to homes. He showed the outfitters where and how to hunt the bull away from homes, legally. Long story short, the bull was shot in someone's back yard and died in someone else's front yard. Not only did the guy in question never get a dime from the outfitter, he had to testify against the hunter and outfitter in exchange for not getting dragged in as an accomplice.

My take, hunt for the hunt and involve only close friends and family. When big money is involved and giant trophy animals, it just ruins things.

• Like 2

And I will put my money where my mouth is... those guys don't do it for the glory... they do it for the Passion, the Obsession... They miss their wives, they miss their kids... they ride alone... but the Passion keeps them in it...

CnS, I don't have a dog in the fight, but the one thing that always jumps out at me when these pictures and conversations come up is the way the outfitters and hunters are portrayed by their photos and how they are defended when questioned. Always talk about them (not just A3) not doing it for the glory...right after they slap those giant watermarks on any trophy pic ensuring the "glory" goes to the correct outfit who delivered on producing the trophy to the man with the cash. Or the first lines of a post or article "the team over at (insert outifiiter) have done it again". Then the defending of the paying guy, "oh this one is the real deal" as in he isn't the normal type of client? Whatever kind of "real deal" some of these hunters are described as will always be overshadowed by the fact that a large team (funded by large money) worked to make these kills happen. Not mad about it at all, just not as impressive.

Another observation... We all (hopefully) have our primary source of income and I can't knock a guy for doing what he loves to earn a dollar. For me hunting is still something pure. Meaning that it's what I do to get away from people, work, and the world. When I see it commercialized to the extent of guys lining up with videos in hopes they will be paid and the potential buyer looking to see who can offer him the best trophy taints it a little for me (not right or wrong, just how I feel about it). At the end of the day here in America, we are all free to hunt in our prefered manner whithin the confines of the law and I'm ok with that.

Its simple really, the DIY guy, whoever he is, or whatever amount of glory he seeks will earn more respect from the masses (or maybe just me) based off what he accomplished with the limited assets he has at his disposal. There is no denying these are magnificent animals! Incredible they are thriving on public land! They just lose their luster to me (and a couple other guys I heard) when you see/hear about the amounts of money that is offered up to "help" these guy kill. It's not hard to understand the bought vs. earned argument here.

Certainly not implying anyone should seek the concurrence of the masses, or issuing excuses for anyone's opinion, just helping to explain the emotions and discussions that appear when these photos pop up.

• Like 4

the main problem i have with all of this is HB2072. anybody remember that fiasco? take 350 of the best tags Az has and basically alocate them to rich guys that had the money to buy em. with no bag limit. buy as many tags as you could buy and shoot as many animals as you could have your toadys find for you. last i remembered the guys leading the charge vowed to bring it back someday. they even got an audience with the governor after weiers chickened out on sponsoring. and it was all under the guise of "conservation" and "economics". wildlife belongs to everyone, whether you hunt or not, everyone should have the same opportunity to it. this was an attempt to turn Az into the european model of hunting. only the rich get to do it. ask utah how it worked for them? the same folks that are buying up these special tags and their toadys are the same people that were funding the push for HB2072. be vigilant, because they will try it again. Lark.

• Like 5

Guest wdenike

Ah!!! The wild net. Where everybody is ENTITLED. no matter how much or how LITTLE they know. Gotta love it LMAO.

Take care, Willie

the main problem i have with all of this is HB2072. anybody remember that fiasco? take 350 of the best tags Az has and basically alocate them to rich guys that had the money to buy em. with no bag limit. buy as many tags as you could buy and shoot as many animals as you could have your toadys find for you. last i remembered the guys leading the charge vowed to bring it back someday. they even got an audience with the governor after weiers chickened out on sponsoring. and it was all under the guise of "conservation" and "economics". wildlife belongs to everyone, whether you hunt or not, everyone should have the same opportunity to it. this was an attempt to turn Az into the european model of hunting. only the rich get to do it. ask utah how it worked for them? the same folks that are buying up these special tags and their toadys are the same people that were funding the push for HB2072. be vigilant, because they will try it again. Lark.

And we will knock the f#%k out of them again when they try it. Just like last time. Thats where my username came about. Used to be something different til the AZSFW fiasco.

... those guys don't do it for the glory... they do it for the Passion, the Obsession...

hate to break it to you but all these guys are on Instagram and facebook and post lots of pics for the "likes"

• Like 2

I never heard of this! But I wasn't on CWT when that must of come out. Definitely let us know if something like that comes up because I would fight that too. Keep nature for the people.

• Like 1

most people on this forum's head's would spin if they knew who some of the people leading the charge for the SFW ordeal were

• Like 4

If you assist in any way and are compensated in any way, you need a Guides license in AZ.

most people on this forum's head's would spin if they knew who some of the people leading the charge for the SFW ordeal were

Let's refresh everyone's memory so they know where those individuals true loyalties are at.

Floyd Green - owner of outsoorsmans

Alan Hamberlain

Chris Denham

John Koleszar

Hays Gilstrap

Eddie Corona

Eddie Del Re

Art Pearce

Trent Swanson

And a whole lot more - feel free to add to the list

• Like 1

If you assist in any way and are compensated in any way, you need a Guides license in AZ.

In the past that has been correct, but I believe that has been changed,(very recently) the new wording says

"commensurate" which indicates compensation in proportion to market value. Last time I went in and talked with G&F they said this was changed to allow a buddy, helping a buddy with gas, maybe food etc...

Again just what I was told.

• Like 2

Wow, see what $$$ signs bring out. The almighty dollar has ruined hunting. The animals in question are supposed to be public property. Why should anyone get paid for finding, killing, helping kill, etc, our animals. Now days one tagholder needs a whole army to kill our animals. Originally guides/outfitters were just along to provide equipment and camps. Now they provide our animals. The tagholder is not a hunter and albeit in some cases not even the shooter. Greed and avarice.

• Like 2