apache12

Imr 4350 in 30-06 just average

So you guys know I'm new to loading. Everything I've read on 30-06 loads say imr 4350 at 57 gr or 58 in a 165 gr bullet is money load

I've loaded hornady 165 sp and sierra 165 spbt. I've run from 55 gr to 57.5 at .5 increments The siera seem to group better and between 56 and 57 seems like my best groups but they are pretty average groups. One inch at 100. I've used listed col 3.330 and 3.340.

They load a bit tight so I think I will use 57 grn load and seat bullet a little deeper

Anyone have a suggestion on if I should try a different powder or just keep tinkering with this?

It's a stock rifle and I don't expect magic groups but so far its grouping as well as factory loads and I think I should be able to reload better

Thanks

You have to try different powder, different bullets and weights, different seating depth, etc.

My 257 weatherby did ok with 115gr nosler ballistic tips and speer sp's, but it really likes berger VLDs and hornady btsp's. It likes I'm 4831 at 61.0gr and H1000 at 67.0gr.

Keep working and find what it likes.

The Bergers over H1000 will group 1/2" at 100yrds. The hornady over 4831 will do 3/4" ar 100. The other bullets were lucky to do 1" at 100.

First, try cleaning the bore real well. Use some JB Borepaste. Then find someone who you know is a good shot, have them fire one round to foul, and let them shoot a couple of no-wind 3-shot groups. It sounds to me like you might be doing a pretty respectable job with your loads already if your rifle is strictly factory. The '06 is not considered a tackdriver compared to some rounds (though it can be very accurate), and out of a light rifle, I would be happy with occasional 1" groups, and 1 1/2" overall. It is not fussy to load for, and you should be able to find a load by picking one from about any manual. Decide what bullet you prefer and build your load around that.

You might try switching primers, and also try another lot of IMR 4350. Make sure the guard and scope mount screws are torqued to factory specs. and there are no places rubbing the barrel along the barrel channel. Finally, assuming you have a decent trigger and bedding, have a gunsmith re-crown your barrel.

forepaw

Check to make sure your barrel is free floated. Best way i know to mess up a group is having your barrel touch somplace.

out of my bolt action rifles i shoot 50.4 of varget, and a 168 berger or CBT. lapua brass, 210m . .030 off the lands. i have used sierra and hornady 165 btsp, 167 scenar, 168 horn match hp, nosler 165 and 168 ballistic tip.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Minute of angle is good enough for hunting anything that walks anywhere in the world at reasonable distances.

Minute of deer (or elk or javelina or whatever) is what you need to be concerned about. Be happy if your .06 gives you one-inch groups at 100 yards.

If the truth were known there are rifles that will never be that accurate, no matter what you do short of swapping barrels.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Thanks Bill I understan about moa being acceptable. My complaint is that factory ammo shot better in this rifle and I've tried a number of powder charges with random results off a rest and also just off a bag

Think I'll tinker with seat depth a bit

So many things that could be holding the gun back from being a sub half-MOA rifle.

Primers

Powder

Charge weight

Bullet weight

Bullet brand

Bullet design

Seating depth

Neck tension

Brass preparation (a lot goes into proper brass prep)

Sizing of brass

Barrel (clean or fouled too much)

Barrel twist rate

Barrel whip

Barrel heat checking

Throat erosion

Chamber cut

Crown damage

Crown cut not 90°

Trigger pull

Bedding of action to stock

Action screw tight (or over tight)

Bolt face square w. receiver

Free floated barrel channel

Scope base

Scope base screw torque

Scope rings

Scope ring torque

Scope

Shooter error (this is a completely separate list)

Wind

Have you tried a ladder test, or OCW test yet?

• Like 1