So, I shot a nice bear this morning at around 7. We tracked all day and couldn't find him AND ran out of water. This was in 6A which closes this evening. I would like to go back out tomorrow to try and keep looking. There was a lot of blood and I have no idea how this bear was still going. My question is regarding the unit closing this evening. If I find the bear and he is not dead yet, can I put the animal out of its misery and harvest him? Also, if the animal is dead, may I still bring it in and check it into the game and fish? I might assume the hide and meat are bad by now, so the skull is all I would have for inspection. What say you?

I don't think you can shoot it, but you might be able to tag it if its dead.

Might not hurt to notify the warden for that area.

Good luck on finding the bear.

Thank you. I will give them a call tomorrow morning. Tried calling this evening, but they were closed.

Think you have 24hrs but can't shoot???

24 hours from this evening?

I would def give the warden a call to provide him with good awareness and he may give you some insight on the legality side.

• Like 1

This is one of those sticky/legal messes. I shot an archery bear two years ago with a good blood trail that lead right onto the rez. It was on a Friday late afternoon around 5:30pm. I believed tribal offices had closed --not that I had cell service anyways--- so I did what I felt was ethically right, which was not to leave a wounded animal suffering or a legally downed animal to rot and waste in the field. I carefully crossed the line, but within a 100 yards the blood trail dwindled to nothing, so I returned. I lamented all week over this and called the tribe on Monday to learn that they had a reciprocal agreement with the state that allowed the recovery of animals that were legally shot on state side to be retrieved from the rez. Sadly, at this point, three days later the meat was rotten and the hide was unsalvageable.

So, if it was me, and I shot a bear during a legal hunt, I would feel that I owed it to the animal to continue to pursue it, as it may be laying there dead with a still salvageable hide and possibly some meat. I would be out at first light weaponless looking for my bear after leaving a voicemail with the G&F.

• Like 8

Think you have 24hrs but can't shoot???

24 hours from this evening?

Call them. I remember this all coming up with antlers and critters becoming property of Az g&f. Stupid yes...

Buddy of mine went through this with a deer last year. You can search for as long as you want as long as you stay in the field. If you come out, the search is over and you cant tag it. At least that is what g&f told him last summer.

One thing about game and fish it all depends on who you talk to what they tell you it varies from each individual good luck.

• Like 1

Good luck finding your bear Capoeirajosh!

Try calling this number 623-236-7201. It's a 24/7 Game and Fish line I believe. It is for reporting nuissance bears or injured animals. I called it this morning when it was 5am, and I knew the Game and Fish office was not open, and found the number by calling Op Game Thief and hearing this separate number on the recording.

I saw a javelina get hit by a car, and was hoping I could tag it. But they said you have the be the driver that hits the javelina to tag it. Someone told me it's possible the driver of the car could have transferred their right to me, but by that point it was already too late and I didn't have a way to get ahold of him so I just had to let it go.

But perhaps they would be able to advise you on the right direction on how to proceed. But also if they tell you, you can't pursue it, make sure they have the legal authority to tell you that and are following some statute, and aren't just telling you that b/c they have no idea and avoiding their own personal liability for telling you something they're not sure of. If it's the latter it is just wasting your time.

Or they may tell you don't call that number for this specific purpose. If so, post it here so no one else calls it. :-) Thanks. But to me at this point it at least falls under the general category "injured animal" :-) So maybe they would know what legally you might be allowed to do and would tell you something helpful other than "Don't do anything" (read politically correct! Freeze and let's not do anything and just let the situation fester! LOL)

If you go out tracking it, as long as it doesn't rain or hail you should still hopefully have a decent blood trail.

Lonne