AZbowhntr

UTV choices

So like a few others on the site, I have been thinking about getting a side by side for hunting. Mostly for going down to Mexico hunting. I have been really looking at the Rangers for the most part. But I am interested in what most of you guys that have them already have and why you decided on the make that you got. I have seen a couple of these Hisuns for sale on Craigslist and was kind of curious about them. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks in advance for any information.

i have a polaris ranger crew and i love it!! i bought the crew because there is usaully 4-5 guys hunting with me so i wanted to have enough room. i bought the 900 and the thing has some power!! my only issue is with the long wheel base i sometimes bottom out im going to get a 2" lift and put some bigger tires on which should really help out.

Never used or seen what you're talking about.

I have a ranger mid size crew and love it. Put a 2" lift and 26" tires on it and have virtually zero issues with clearance. I like the narrower design better than the full size ranger crews. Seems better to get into places that have quad trails established.

I did run into a guy with a Honda pioneer SxS a couple weeks ago. I have no clue how they run but I did like the looks of it. With a Honda name I would think they'd be good.

I would also consider something with power steering. The next SxS I get will have it. I've nearly broke my thumb a few times. IDK maybe I should just man up and hold onto the steering wheel more firmly. But having that option would be nice to me.

• Like 1

My Rhino was to the point it was giving me old age issues so I bought a Honda Pioneer. I bought it because I wanted to get away from the belt drive. I love the Honda automatic transmission and their engines are second to none. They are quiet compared to a belt drive machine The one thing about them I don't like is the position of the accelerator pedal and the lack of leg room. I didn't notice it until I took it out for a long morning. Not much room there and my foot was throbbing from the position I had to hold it in. I did some modifications and it is better but I still don't like it.

I would take a hard look at the Yamaha Viking if I bought another one. I had zero complaints in the 10 years I ran my Rhino.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to go take a look at some of them this morning so I can get a better idea of what I want. They are like a foreign language to me.

I have a ranger. It's a 2007, well used but runs and starts like a champ. It gets me where I need to go, but it's not super smooth.

Every once in a while, ill drive a rhino at work. Much smoother, much more nimble. Obviously, smaller too.

I have the Yamaha Viking. I was set to buy a Honda Pioneer-4, but sat in one and drove it around the dealer's lot. My knees banged off the front too much and I felt very cramped. It disappointed me that I couldn't get one. For reference, I am 6'2" tall and 200lbs.

I drove the Viking VI, but that was like driving a yacht.

I ended up in the Viking (3 seater) and couldn't be happier. It has the proven 700 cc engine and Yamaha CVT transmission. Max speed is 50-52mph, which is plenty for hunting/hauling. It has a 600lb cargo capacity with a 1,500lb towing capacity. I have added a winch and some lights, along with a custom bed rail/rack system I welded up. It fits all of my needs.

I had a Rhino but sold it and got a rzr which was recently stolen. I think the Rhino is good for most people and probably the least expensive with a zillion aftermarket and used parts availble. The Ranger is a tougher machine in my opinion and has more room and I was about to buy one recently. We did use the rzr for hunting also and it is great for smaller trails and going fast but clearance is not good and there is not much room. The rzr 4 seems to have a common complaint about the small back seats but a buddy has one and it is really nice ride.

I just bought a Teryx from another member and have only driven it one time but I really like it. The thing is a tank and has real seating for 4 adults along with actual doors and a full cage. The clearance seems to be very good, it has some storage, and will tow 1,500 lbs. It is not fast since it weighs something like 1,500lbs :o but I think they are really worth a look.

The Viking and Pioneer look similar to the Teryx and I would test drive them if you can. All have their little advantages, Viking has a little more clearance, Pioneer has cool backseat set up and unique drivetrain. If the Honda is quieter that may be enough to sell me on that alone since all of these SXS are too loud IMO.

All that being said you can't beat a quad for one guy getting somewhere quick and cheap. The biggest downside is you can't hide from the sun in AZ on a quad and you can't bring a friend.

Good luck and have fun!

I have a Polaris ranger and was wondering if anyone has had a heater installed in one? Seem a bit pricey, but could be nice on those cold mornings!

My Ranger crew has a heater installed. I don't think it is anything I would buy for myself, but the original owner in Utah had it installed, so why not.

I have an open cab with a half windshield. It does cut the chill a little on those long cold rides and is a nice feature. But if you are not properly dressed anyway, you will still be cold. If in the Queen Creek area, you are welcome to check it out.

Does any one own a John Deere Gator? The last few years they have stepped it up on suspension and so on. Pros cons? Anything?

I have owned 3 rangers... all were awesome... but each one was better than the last. Just bought a new 2016 and it is a fantastic machine!!

we have a rhino its been through heck and its still going. not as fancy as those others and it only goes like 37mph but ive never needed anything else. however if the kobota was a little faster id get on of those.