Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Do you use shooting sticks?

Wow jackass l, listen a little bit before you go spouting yoir BS. Of course i have not used one, that would make my post invalid. It's a little more than "helping" a kid and you know it. You put ome of those those things on a HEAVY DUTY tripod and head and they are a dam robotic arm on the rifle and you know it. Another idiot trying to corner someone that has an opinion that differs from the majority. Do your research before starting the namecalling right off the bat.

Easy guy. You said they were a tool for the lazy and unconfident, so don't pretend to be all shocked when someone swings back. Your first comment stated you want them BANNED because they allow someone (usually a kid, in your words) to make a shot and then their dad brags about what they did at some xx yardage. If you haven't used one, maybe you should try it. Perhaps on bedded game with a heavy duty tripod (which someone had to lug into the back country and place in front of an animal that someone had to find) and perfect head it is a robotic arm, so what. The kid gets excited cause he has a story to tell instead of being frustrated or embarrassed and his or her dad gets to brag on their kid a little. And from experience, I can tell you most folks who use one, are not using it the way you are referring to.

That was an ignorant thing to say. That is all I have to say about that. We have elk to kill, hopefully in the morning, hopefully we get to use THE CLAW.

Trphyhntr - I will reiterate my previous point. I come prepared and make use of whatever I have at my disposal at the time. Kind of like Lance, everything from rocks, to tripods, to my buddies shoulder once (.270 with a brake, bad idea). You don't do all that hard work to get an opportunity just to watch it slip between your fingers.

• Like 4

ive shot off my dads back twice lol, and ive been used by a CW member once too. no homo. i miss coyotes all the time, cuz im usually free handing type stuff and i think im going to try and use one of these swivel tripod heads a couple times and see how it goes.

• Like 2

I can see both sides on using tools like the the CLAW, and yes it is a tool to help make up for human error. My personal opinion and why I do not like seeing kids use them is because they are usually used in conjunction with Guns and Scopes, dialed in by an adult for long range shots, More often than not with guns that the kid could not handle off shoulder on their own.Seeing others use them, I have watched the adult do everything but pulling the trigger. IMO when teaching kids there should be a natural progression that starts with the basics no matter if it is rifle or archery. With rifles, you start with smaller calibers and iron sights and the kid learns the fundamentals. Small game to big game closing the distance close shots to taking the long shots. In archery thumping rabbits with blunts and a recurve or long bow all while building strength and working up to being able to handle the heavier draws and make the longer shots. I know the new fad is to utilize the latest tech to take and get the longest shots ( seems to be bragged about more than antler size these days) for the kill. However, as awesome as the feeling is to drop game at long ranges I have yet to meet a hunter that puts it even close to closing the distance and taking their trophy with open sights or with stick and string. I personally have witnessed 2 young hunters who have been shown how to shoot one way and that is off a claw, and though they have taken deer and elk in that manner, they both did not even have the slightest comfort or knowledge trying to shoot an iron sight 30/30. I think the hunting culture has changed dramatically since I was taught by my Dad and Grandfather, I can only hope that teaching my son in the same way he continues it down the line.

Like Lombardi Said "Gentlemen, This is a Football" ... even pro athletes, sometimes need reminded and retaught the basics to become better and win.

Guest wdenike

post-10217-0-52326000-1444393924.jpg

Yup those politicians and anti's need all the help they can get!! ROFLMAO Lets start on the Duck hunters next!!

post-10217-0-44202100-1444394239.jpg

How ever there is a golden lining. At least the balls are sprouting. With a little common sense, and guidance. Maybe we'll throw punches at the right people. Carry on!!!!

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

I use all the above mentioned. Last deer season my daughter pulled the gun off the tri-pod and shot off hand. All depends on the circumstance. I grew up around off hand lead slingers and prided myself not being one of them. My wife has never shot a deer off hand. Always off the tripod or claw. One shot one dead deer. Clean shots not cheating. You owe it to the animal to make the best shot you can. If you can do that offhand great just be careful your cape doesnt blow around in your face when you make your shot.

• Like 3

I use my "moses stick" free provided by mother nature. I do have some shorter garden sticks that I made for shooting dangerous game that is hunting me while I am sitting.

I will use whatever tool necessary or available to make a quick clean ethical kill. If you don't like it, o well!

I respect everyone's opinion, but as soon as the name calling starts my respect is lost. I still can't understand why we have so many keyboard warriors on this site. Anyone notice how many quality people have left this site due to people being disrespectful? I'm SO tired of reading post's that start off innocent and end with name calling.

I wish we banned anyone who starts calling another member names!

• Like 5

A friend of mine invented a rifle holder that's a tripod with rear rods that enable you to move/aim the weapon where you want without having to loosen anything, when you let go, it stays where you aimed it. Works really slick. I told him about this thread, so I'm hoping he chimes in.

What ever happened to each his own, the military us tripods, gun rest, clean kill is what its all about.only my opinion, so don't call me names I'm senceitive

• Like 2

Depending on the situation, I'll remove my bino's off the tripod, rotate the head to 90 degrees and shoot off the "V" created by the head and tilt lever.

• Like 1

Why is it every thread usually leads to some kind of a "ethical" discussion?

Swear, you hunters today are your own worst enemies.

Even my shooting stix are offended!

I usedem when I was a kid, we would sharpen up some sticks with a barlow and shootem with our homemade bow strung with fishing line.