Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Family Antelope Taste Test Reviews

As newbies to antelope I thought I'd share my family's reactions to their first tastes of Wyoming antelope.

We were able to get both of our antelope boned out an processed yesterday and taste tested it 3 ways.
-Plain with salt and pepper
-Sweet Mesquite Jerky Sticks
-Sweet Italian Sausage

Plain:
It had a flavor slightly more gamey than the deer and elk we usually eat. My two boys and I liked it. My wife thought it was okay, but not her first choice. My daughter did not like it. We also made it into spaghetti sauce for dinner which mellowed the gamey flavor, but my little girl was still not a fan.

Sweet Italian Sausage:
I found an online recipe a while back that I have been refining for a while to get the seasonings just how I like them. JACKPOT!!! This was awesome, the whole family loved it. Probably the best sweet Italian sausage I have had. Unfortunately the place I usually but sausage casing from was closed till Wednesday. So we left it all in ground sausage form this time.

Jerky Sticks:
I have a very simple sweet mesquite jerky sticks recipe I came up with a few years ago that is always a big hit with everyone who tries it. It uses ground meat through a jerky gun and onto the dehydrator trays. Once again, this was a big hit with everyone giving it two thumbs up.

Deboned Meat

post-6408-0-29480800-1444765144.jpg

Course Grind

post-6408-0-75961900-1444765151.jpg

Seasoning and Pinot added for Sweet Italian Sausage

post-6408-0-26256500-1444765165.jpg

Bagged Product

post-6408-0-49804400-1444765176.jpg

Jerky Sticks ready for the dehydrator

post-6408-0-00002600-1444765191.jpg

Jerky Sticks Final Product

post-6408-0-26845900-1444765199.jpg

• Like 6

Nice, I soaked my back straps in buttermilk and Italian dressing then wrapped them in bacon added a little salt and pepper and it was the best game meat I have ever had. Wife loved it.

• Like 1

You guys are killing me! Antelope is the best game meat there is!! No jerky, no sausage, no bacon or buttermilk, it's so sweet and wonderful with just a little salt and pepper on the grill!! Save the other stuff for deer and elk!!

Ok ok. It makes good jerky and sausage too, but if gladly trade anyone deer, elk or any other game for antelope!!

• Like 3

The lady did not like the backstraps I cooked but the kids loved it (I think its just the fact that she pictures an Antelope before she tries it lol) also tossed the ribs on with salt n pepper, came out excellent.

DAN

It was my first time cooking antelope and I cooked it the way I always have with deer or elk.

Btw I set some antelope backstraps out for dinner after reading this and will only salt and pepper it, the yotebuster way.

I absolutely loved the my antelope came out! I have one package of burger left and a few packages of steaks left :-( not looking forward to running out being I won't have any more in my freezer for 8+ years... unless my buddy^^^^^will hook me up with some more ;-)!

• Like 1

You didn't mention adding any cure to those jerky sticks..

I assume you either A: freeze them right away and take them out for consumption or B: they don't last that long??

Great stuff, processing is one of the best parts of hunting!!

Ive had antelope from 3 different states (AZ, WY and NM) the AZ stuff was by far the best. Im convinced its all WHAT they are eating. The WY goat had to be eating mostly sage and the NM goat was gorging on green alfalfa. The AZ goat must have had a more varied diet more like a deer or an elk. I love antelope meat in my book its right up there with elk and just barely under Coues deer.

• Like 1

You didn't mention adding any cure to those jerky sticks..

I assume you either A: freeze them right away and take them out for consumption or B: they don't last that long??

Great stuff, processing is one of the best parts of hunting!!

Both. I keep them in the freezer, but they never last more than a few days after all the little fingers at our house have found it.

• Like 1

My mouth just literally watered. Good stuff. Never tried antelope myself but would like to one day.

Antelope is sweet and is by far less gamey than deer or elk...IF it was handled properly. I too have had it from Az WY and NM. Every time it has been my favorite game meat.

It was my first time cooking antelope and I cooked it the way I always have with deer or elk.

Btw I set some antelope backstraps out for dinner after reading this and will only salt and pepper it, the yotebuster way.

I lightly seasoned the steaks you gave me and pan seared in butter and olive oil med rare with eggs and toast.. it was one of the best tasting game meats I have tried!

You might need to cover up the taste of old muley, but for me coues, antelope, and elk taste awesome!

James

• Like 1

Hmm, I have taken 3 goats here in Az, and all 3 tasted spectacular. My favorite meat by far. On the first 1 I had killed, everyone told me it was pretty gamey, so I ground up almost the whole antelope. I then found out that it was the best burger I have ever had, and I was pissed because I ground the whole thing up and kept no steaks. I will not make that mistake again. I think it has very little game taste to it, and also echo the sweet taste. MMmmm makes my lips water thinking about antelope parmesean. Try it with the backstraps, being careful not to overcook in the oil. Unreal.