Sign in to follow this  
fire652

what to bring on mid January Coues Deer hunt

I am trying to sort thru my gear and wondering what I should take. I hunt mostly cold weather and have been to Arizona once. This is going to be a hunt from a base camp -Currently I have the following

Kuiu peloton 130 ls shirt, Kuiu peloton 210 hoody, 2 sitka core shirts LS (not merino)

Kuiu attack pants, Sitka Mountain pants

Kuiu guide vest, Sitka 90% jacket

Kuiu Guide beanie, Sitka Shooter gloves

Cabelas meindl boots / 3 pair .6 socks

Stone glacier sky archer pack

Optics; Vortex Kaibad 15x56, Vortex razor 65mm spotting scope, leupold rangefinder

Outdoorsman tripod / panhead

Bow equipment

10 degree EE quilt (easy to vent if to warm), big agnes pad

Am I missing anything, not concerned about camp gear as I have that dialed in

What altitude? My last Jan. Coues hunt was at 6000'and colder and wetter than a brass witch's nipple.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be packing that spotting scope around that is for sure. In fact I would probably try and only use 10X binocs hat are high quality. As for clothing I would layer so that you will be ready for any type of weather. Depending on where you hunt it can be extremely cold or shorts weather.

• Like 1

Depends on where hunting and style...lots of glassing I pack kaibabs and wear 10s on my chest. Elevation will affect things a lot as far as temps...and in Jan even at lower elevations it can be chilly early and late depending on wind. 30 degree temp swings are possible in southern AZ. I'd throw in some light rain gear. As far as clothing that looks similar to what I usually wear in Jan down south. No mention of knives, compass/GPS/maps,or any other hunting gear besides clothes and glass.

8's or 10's around your neck and 15's with a tripod in your pack

layer up, you'll be shedding as the day goes on, then digging it out of your pack when the sun goes down

pillow cases and a boning knife to pack out the meat

I usually drive but I bring the whole kit and caboodle! It can be warm or cold but this year is an El Nino so be sure you have some gear that can keep you in the hunt when its cold and wet. Looks like you are good to go minus maybe a light rain jacket just in case it gets wetter than the 90% jacket can handle. Good Luck!

In your day pack- chap stick, TP, para cord, extra socks, head lamp, gps, knife, sharpener, range finder, lighters, sterno can (can do wonders for an unexpected extremely cold situation), extra batteries, cell phone, cell charger, game bag, several trash bags, basic lightweight first aid kit, 2-3 goo packs in case of emergency and food is used up.

• Like 1

I have a my basic hunt stuff pretty set. I am trying to determine the clothes and optics to take since this is my first trip for coues deer and arizona in january. thanks for all the replies.

As far as optics, I think it depends on the caliber of buck you are looking for. If any buck will do, keep it basic with binos and tripod. If you are looking for a specific size buck, bring the scope or bigger glass.

Bring your 15's and your spotter.

i'm personally a 10x on the neck and 15x on the tripod type of guy. i use the eberlestock packs with the scabbard and slot hte tripod in there when i'm moving......no wrong answer just throwing out there what works for me.