Sign in to follow this  
elkslare

Bass Pro buying out Cabelas???

I was talking to my son today and he had herd that Bass Pro is buying out Cabelas. Just wondering if anyone else has herd anything about this.

Just curious. dontknow.gif I will say last few times I have been in Cabelas, the shelves were a little bare.

1. Exclusive: Bass Pro Shops explores bid for Cabela's - sources
    Reuters via Yahoo! FinanceNov 05 17:30 PM

Bass Pro is working with an investment bank on the potential offer, the people said this week. Cabela's has recently begun to explore its options and has also reached out to private equity firms to solicit interest, the people added. Bass Pro Shops declined comment, while Cabela's did not respond to a request for comment. Shares of Sidney, Nebraska based Cabela's jumped as much as 13 percent on ...

Cabelas screwed up when the went public in 2004.

• Like 1

Man I hope Bass Pro doesn't buy out Cabelas!! Basspro doesn't even hold a candle to equipment & gear Cabelas has. If this happens I will start shopping for gear at Sportsman's

Hate to see it. Cabelas is way better than Bass Pro, well worth the drive for us on the east side. Better selection, catalog and website.

Well, if Bass Pro doesn't buy them, then some activist equity fund will. Some are good, some are bad. Here's how one firm sees Cabelas:

The companys growth had been fueled by the surge in gun sales, said Tony Scherrer, director of research for Smead Capital Management, which has owned Cabelas shares since 2008. Now the retailer needs to appeal to outdoor shoppers who arent interested in so-called blood sports like fishing and hunting, he said.

Its clear they need a face-lift, Scherrer said. What they need to do is get to the people who like outdoor experience -- the REI crowd.

I'd rather see a privately owned company like Bass Pro purchase Cabelas over an equity firm looking only to diversify their assists, forcing a restructure. Only to lose the core culture and shoppers of Cabelas.

I heard of this happening in Billings. Was not aware of any other locations.

Interesting as Shillings up there is so much better than either of them.