DesertBull

Target Panic Cure?

Everybody has given you great advice, besides the obvious, drop the poundage that will help tremendously.

To many guys worry to much and overthink it all. Just do it and have fun. Get Your Xanex off a DR. too not a street vendor. Now go kill some Deer and relax. Post pics too. Am I gonna have to come down there and mentor You Yung Uns....LOL......BOB!

Recently I've gone back to traditional archery. Target panic returned to my shooting mostly because I was over bowed at #50. It had nothing to do with floating a pin as I shoot instinctively. Started shooting a lower poundage bow to work out form issues then worked up to #55. Trust me, traditional archers also suffer target panic, often even worse than wheel bow shooters.

My point: The conditioning required to hold a traditional bow at full draw drastically enhanced my ability to comfortably anchor a compound at full draw. Rarely shoot my compound, when I do, I shoot very well. Traditional archery is a blast and IMO, can be a fun training aid for a compound shooter.

are you supposed to float the pin or no?

Hard to float a pin if there isn't one.

is that like some ancient Chinese archery advice?

I usually just drift it by the target and let it fly when it's in the middle, am I doing it wrong?

......if one more person suggest relaxing I'm going to give Obama another reason to ban guns.

• Like 1

Speaking only for myself, target panic issues start to set in when I try to get the bow to go off when I am trying to steadily hold a pin directly on a spot. Naturally your pin is going to float or circle or bobble up and down around the point of aim. My brain can't execute a consistent shot with regularity when I am trying to get the bow to go off at the instant it is on the spot or if I try to hold it on the spot and release. If my pin is in the general vicinity of the spot and my brain is surprised by the release at back tension, my groups are way smaller and I have way fewer "flyers".

This all gets worse with stress or fatigue. Once that starts I give up and try again another time.

With a traditional bow like a recurve with no sights, my aiming method is instinctive. I focus on the target and aim the bow where I want to hit. My brain makes that calculation pretty quick on how to adjust. It's all hand eye coordination a lot like throwing a football or baseball, which your brain does without sights also.

• Like 1

I usually just drift it by the target and let it fly when it's in the middle, am I doing it wrong?

That is exactly what target panic is. Cant hold the pin on the target so you move it across the target trying to punch the trigger when the pin is on the bullseye.

For the record, nobody holds dead steady, there is always some bouncing around on the target. As suggested if you focus on the target and just let the pin float you will be surprised how that arrow seems to end up dead center. If you try to hold steady as a rock, you will drive yourself crazy and never get it done anyway.

Focus on your release and your follow through, everything else will come together.

That is exactly what target panic is. Cant hold the pin on the target so you move it across the target trying to punch the trigger when the pin is on the bullseye.

For the record, nobody holds dead steady, there is always some bouncing around on the target. As suggested if you focus on the target and just let the pin float you will be surprised how that arrow seems to end up dead center. If you try to hold steady as a rock, you will drive yourself crazy and never get it done anyway.

Focus on your release and your follow through, everything else will come together.

+1 Its almost just understanding/having the confidence to know when to release before holding out to long and over correcting more as the muscles fatigue. I think the MAJORITY of target panic is just a bad follow through versus an INITIAL bad shot.

oh I see. Sometimes Its like there's a barrier around the center and I can't get there unless I drift across?

Yep. I always had a tendancy to anchor low and get stuck there. Seemed like there was 500 pound weight on my top limb that kept me from raising that bow!

The human mind is a funny thing. You have to learn how to trick your own mind to be a better shooter, wth is up with that!?

• Like 1

I can't trigger the release. It is as if my fingers lock up. I started with a caliper, went to a T handle thinking that would work but my thumb learned to freeze, went to a Little Bitty Goose and triggered it with my middle finger. I am now to where I can't trigger anything thus the hinge.

First off stop moving your finger to trigger the release. Use your back to move your finger back to trigger the release. I have a Carter "Squeeze Me" same process as a index finger release but it makes you use different muscles than normal. I read an article by Randy Ulmer on how he shoots over and over again. I've had it since I've started archery and this way finally suppressed it. My regular release is a Carter Quickie set really heavy and pull through the shot. It does take a lot of time but if your really serious you can break it. Stay head strong and this will pass. Just find a way that's feels right to you and work with it. Any more questions just pm me.