DesertBull

Target Panic Cure?

I am to the point where I am contemplating giving up archery because I just can't conquer target panic.

Anyone ever dealt with it and beat it?

I've tried different types of releases, blind bale practice. etc

Been fighting it for years and I am almost to the point of quitting. I have tried nearly everything. I bought a hinge handle some years ago but never gave it a chance. I have fully committed to it. If it doesn't cure me then I quit. I have made a makeshift bow string and sit around the house in the evenings pulling it back, anchoring and going through the motion of releasing. I shoot at a very large bullseye from 5 yards away instead of the long ranges I used to shoot that eventually caused target panic. I got brave the other day and pulled out to 50 yds. to shoot. I put three broadhead tipped arrows in a 3" circle so maybe I am making some progress.

I plan on hunting with it this year. If I get into a situation where I can't make the shot because of the time it takes me to get the hinge to fire I probably shouldn't have been shooting anyway.

yes it sucks. Can't say I beat it or that there is a cure but I think I'm gaining on it. Best advice I've gotten is let the shot happen don't force it.

There is all kinds of info on it out there most say switch to a back tension which isn't for me. I stuck with my little goose and quit trying so hard.

In January I was breaking arrows because I couldn't move my pin up to the target and just kept punching it. By mid summer I was breaking arrows because they couldn't fit in the same hole. But it still rears its ugly head once in a while and I won't stop shooting when that happens I go until the group is tight then hang it up until the next day.

I am to the point where I am contemplating giving up archery because I just can't conquer target panic.

dafuq? i know a cure but you gotta have Dr's prescription

• Like 1

Target up close squeezing the trigger and shoot with your eyes closed into the target. Once you've have done this where you are comfortable doing this try counting to 3 while your holding your pin on the target. Worked for me and others I know ( squeezing as you count )

• Like 1

Anyone ever dealt with it and beat it?

I've tried different types of releases, blind bale practice. etc

You need to change this: "I just can't conquer target panic" to "I have not yet controlled target panic".

Most people suffer TP to varying degrees when shooting bows, rifles, shotguns etc. Those who don't have TP tend to be very good shots. Personally, I have to deal with TP when I shoot but have managed to control it to the point that I enjoy shooting and have reasonable accuracy. TP is controllable but will ALWAYS be lurking. It is a learned behavior, unlearning it is not easy. That is my belief.

A prime example is the newbie archer. Set up with a modern bow, sights, release and a reasonable tune on the equipment, most will shoot very well quickly. However, soon enough many will begin doing "drive by" shots on the target spots. Accuracy degrades quickly, the newb now has a full blown case of target panic and continues to perfect it with more bad practice. Basically, if you are not in control of the shot (see "drive by") ....... stop, don't continue shooting, you'll only reinforce a very bad habit. The goal is a relaxed shot with an amazing follow through. Enough of the sermon.

Volumes have been written on curing TP. I've had my best success controlling it by doing the following:

1) Stop releasing arrows (except blind baling). Don't go to the range with your buds & shoot, no tournaments, etc. You are done shooting arrows for as long as it takes to get control of the shot (this is not easy, we all love to shoot). Control will be achieved in your yard all by yourself.

2) Blind baling. Definitely not a cure-all but if you got TP so bad you have trouble achieving anchor it is a big help. I recommend doing it every session.

3) Non-shooting/let down, IMO this is the key technique for restoring control to the shot.

a) Safety the release, draw, anchor, acquire sight picture, float the correct yardage pin on a spot, focus on the spot not the pin, squeeze between the shoulders, let down, repeat (all this without finger on trigger, keep the release in "safe" mode). Likely you'll be able to lock on to the spot without issue. Letting down a powerful bow can wake up a whole new set of muscles, consider dropping poundage. NEVER let down the bow with your finger/thumb on the trigger. Practice "a" till you are so bored you want to cry.

B) Perform "a" but now put the your finger on the trigger (when anchor is achieved) . DON'T SHOOT! Likely, you'll turn a few loose, tsk, tsk. Control has NOT been achieved, revert back to "a" for a pre-determined amount draw cycles (5-10). When completed, go back to placing the finger on the trigger. "b" could take many weeks, don't hurry the process. When control has been achieved, move to "c".

c) WoooHoooo, you get to shoot a few arrows! Start at 20 yards. Float the pin, focus on the spot. The pin will move (unless you are super human), the spot won't. Focusing on the moving pin will promote drive by shooting. Focusing on the spot will promote a great follow through and lessen the tendency to punch the release. Shoot a few arrows, if it goes well shoot a few more. Don't overshoot, you'll want to because it will feel soooooo good. The INSTANT you detect a drive by shot, STOP! Revert back to "b" till control has been restored.

4) TP is a lurker once you have experienced it. Fatigue will bring it on. Overshooting is usually the enemy. Avoid overshooting.

Hope this helps, I still struggle with it, mostly when fatigued.

• Like 1

+1 to fatigue shooting. Military has been using those methods for years. Once you can induce it THEN practicing can become truly effective as you can learn to control it. It's like learning how not to blink, flinch or seize when you are pulling the trigger on your weapon.

• Like 1

Try to just get back to the fun, the more you stress over it the worse it will get. Do not judge your shooting based on some one else. It is just you, the bow , the arrow and a target. Just shoot at some thing fun. I put up some pictures of gobblins and monsters for my friend. Once he started having fun. He forgot about the panic.

Also check you shooting form. I THOUGHT I had target panic a couple of years ago. I was at the local range trying to work it out when an old timer mentioned that my draw arm was wrong. He gave me a couple pointers and everything else fell into place.

I use to have target panic(on mature animals) to the point I talked a psychologist hunting friend of mind. The solution for me was to simplify. my thought process before I shoot is simple now. pin(yardage), relax, aim, squeeze. At least it works for me, good luck.

• Like 1

I had it bad,bad,bad and it came when I tried to take my shooting to another level. I read a lot about it and a friend suggested a hinged back tension release which helped immensely. It took awhile but I got back to feeling comfortable shooting with it. Big help. By wanting to shoot better initially it created too much thinking on my part which = panic. I do shoot better now and am back to enjoying it too. What helped in the long run was proper form, a mental shot routine, and KISS. It still lurks but is more manageable now. Good luck.

• Like 1

There's a good article in the latest Elk Hunter magazine that covers a lot of the principles mentioned above..."Shoot Better Right Now".