AZ_SAWBUCK

Light Weight Deer Gun?

My Tikka with factory ammo is extremely lightweight and shoots .25 moa with nosler ammo. Having done nothing to it i shot repeatable 1" groups at 440 yds recently. Unless your name is Lance Kenyon i doubt you will find a more accurate rifle. I shot my coues at 585 this year. Only restriction was the caliber. 7mm-08 is pretty weak at 600 yds. I would choose 7mag tikka if i wanted lightweight factory gun that i could shoot long range.

• Like 2

I just built the same thing after getting sick of carrying my 16 pound 338 LM. After much deliberation I settled on a t3 superlite in 300 WM with a leupold vx3 CDS scope. I did a trigger job put a brake and lim saver on it and couldn't be happier it's by far my favorite rifle is incredibly light and consistently shoots .75" 3 shot groups at 200 yards with 200 grain accubonds over RL 22 and a fed 215. I'm in it just under 2k total and have a solid 800 yard+ ultralight gun

I shoot the Tika T3 in 270WSM with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 scope and reading this thread was curious. So I just weighed it and everything including my bipod base that is attached it weighed 8.6 lbs. And it will shoot 2" groups at 500 yds. I will take that all day long.

• Like 5

Tikka or Weatherby vanguard. I love my vanguard and even with a bipod it isn't very heavy.

My hunting buddy has a Tikka and it shoots really well too. I have been sub .5 MOA with my vanguard and handloads.

Harley

My gun is not a superlight by any means, but with a 26" #4 fluted barrel, McMillian EDGE stock, it weighs 7.3#, by itself. Not bad considering it is a 7LRM.

• Like 1

Get a Christensen. Any caliber you want. Shoot a long ways. Don't weigh much. Lark

Do they make a 7mm-08 or more recently called 7mm-0Lark?

Before you spend a bunch of $ on a lightweight shoulder breaker, see if one of your buddies has one you can try out. Many a good shooter has been ruined by a flinch.

4 other things I learned.

First thing: A fluted steel barrel stays laminated for a long, long time. My Christensen 300Ultramag barrel came unlaminated. They replaced it, but it made me think longer term.

Second thing: cheap rings are light, but they wont always hold up to the abuse a lightweight rifle throws at them.

Third thing:optics- you can not afford cheap optics. More magnification isn't always better. I am still a fan of the Leupold VX3 LR 6.5-20x50 side focus scopes. Good eye relief, lightweight compared to many others, and really good glass and proven to be reliable. They have the Varmint Reticle if you want BDC, however learn to use the turret. Dial in ballistic yardage.

Forth thing: Get it threaded and spend the $ on a suppressor. Takes away as much recoil as a brake, but without making yours and others around you, ear drums bleed. My rifles I have suppressed shoot better groups now also. It could be that I don't jump like a scared kid anymore, but I think it changes the harmonics enough to tame it.

• Like 2

I just finished putting together a Savage for the wife. Using a model 11 action 22" stainless 6.5 Creedmoor barrel set in a lady hunter walnut stock. Weaver bases, Burris Signature Zee rings and a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40. Rifle, sling and a full magazine tips the scales at 7.5 lbs. Sweet little rig with the ability to push 140 Bergers at or near 2800 fps will allow it to take deer out to 800 yards easily.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^ my wife's is similar.... 20" with talleys ..... Shoots the heck out of 140 bergers. Love this gun almost more than my 280ai.... Almost...:)

Lots of good suggestions.........Thanks guys! Looks like I will have to look hard at Savage lightweight and Tikka T3 lightweight. I like the idea of a larger caliber, just incase a guy has to reach out a little further...............want to make sure the projectile is going to have some knock down. I'm thinking another 300 WM with a break and a good trigger topped with a vortex scope with an elevation target turret.

When are the very few shooters who actually can make a good 800 yd shot going to speak up about these posts. 800 yds easily is a joke. :rolleyes:

When are the very few shooters who actually can make a good 800 yd shot going to speak up about these posts. 800 yds easily is a joke. :rolleyes:

not sure what you mean?

I never understood people who are so quick to attack and critique peoples abilities .... moreover when no one on this thread have said they could easily take an 800 yard shot easily. A few of us have mentioned guns which are capable of it and some of us actually shoot extreme distances sometimes 1500+ and I can tell you that depending on conditions an 800 yard shot can be much easier than a 500 yard shot cross canyon in wind. Furthermore, who are you to judge who the shooters are who can shoot 800 yards and who can't? If you're not practiced or skilled enough to take longer shots, read mirage, and make an ethical shot than don't, but there is no reason to instantly assume that the people who shoot 1k+ magnum rounds a year have been trained to do so, and don't spend all they're time hating on others online can't be ethical. Get off your high horse and go practice.

• Like 3

What I think stomp meant:

" BALLISTICALLY speaking my rig has what it takes to ethically kill at 800 yards."

What I think Thomc read

"800 yards is an easy chip shot with my rifle and load".

• Like 2