Sign in to follow this  
218buck

Bipods

Looking for recommendations on what guys are using need to get one for my 257 before I head to mexico next month thanks

atlas by far, the adjust ability, height and its rock solid.

I have Harris and others, but the Atlas is far better, worth the money

How high are you looking for? I have a few. A couple bench rest models, from 6-9" high, and a taller one for high prone (almost too high for most prone shooting) and sitting, 13-27". I have Harris bi-pods, and really have not seen the need for an Atlas. I doubt an Atlas would help me shoot any better. I prefer the pivoting models personally. Makes shooting and leveling your rifle much easier than adjusting individual legs if you are not on a 100% flat surface.

I also have a Bog Pod, and a Primos tripod that go into the field with me. All depends on the situation and panned activities for the day.

• Like 3

I have a couple of Harris bipods in different lengths. Atlas look really nice, but I don't think they would help me out enough to justify the cost. I also have a Claw (now know as Triclawps) between the three I have something for most any situation.

• Like 1

How high are you looking for? I have a few. A couple bench rest models, from 6-9" high, and a taller one for high prone (almost too high for most prone shooting) and sitting, 13-27". I have Harris bi-pods, and really have not seen the need for an Atlas. I doubt an Atlas would help me shoot any better. I prefer the pivoting models personally. Makes shooting and leveling your rifle much easier than adjusting individual legs if you are not on a 100% flat surface.

I also have a Bog Pod, and a Primos tripod that go into the field with me. All depends on the situation and panned activities for the day. I am afraid the bench rest model would not be high enough there's a lot of tall grass were we are going on the pivoting models how do they work who carries them thanks

Some on the market are Atlas, Bob Becks from Extreme aouter Limits, and Evolution. I use Atlas but like the styles of Bob AND evolution.

Others have stated other brands. It depends on what height you need and purpose.

I use a short harris and a longer one. I almost always have the longer one for hunting because nearly every critter I have shot has required me to shoot sitting due to high grass, bushes, and other junk that gets in the way.

• Like 1

The Atlas Pivots and Traverses. I believe the Evolution one does also. Look into all look for price, Traversing, Pivoting, and weight.

Are those 12-25" Harris' too tall or can you still shoot prone with them? That extra length would be nice for shooting in the sitting position in high grass.

Most places yes they are too tall.

I would rather get the smaller one and you can always throw your pack down and extend legs on it to get higher. The Atlas you can also get 3" leg extensions that snap on and off fast.

• Like 1

The Atlas are really nice, I have used a couple but like others have said I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one. I use a simple Harris knock off, Blackhawk brand, from Walmart. It has a 6-9" height and swivel for $40. I have used mine on my last three deer hunts and they have worked great for prone shots. If it ever breaks or wears out I will spend another $40 and be on my happy way.