rancilio

The bear that found the fawn

I haven't seen as much bear scat this year as in years past. The wet weather? Abundant acorn crop? Fewer local bears? Nevertheless, I came across some scat that was more interesting than any other I have seen. Anyone else have interesting poop-finds?

post-7261-0-41221200-1451017880_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

I was just listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about finding deer hooves in coyote crap and how the biologist use that to determine predation rates.

Pretty neat find.

I found baby javelina hooves in poop before. I don't think I got pics though, which is unusual for me since I am a biologist and am always investigating poop to see what animals are eating.

I have found aluminum foil in bear poop before too, but that was many years ago and a bear that lived near an open garbage dump.

here is a recent pic....two for one poop pic! I thought it was comical!

post-1-0-92305700-1451068655_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

here is a recent pic....two for one poop pic! I thought it was comical!

attachicon.gif2015-11-26 12.16.44.jpg

What is the red scat from? Bear over eating Madrone berries? Or did you leave the red cool-aid mix at camp again?

I think this happens a lot more than many of us realize, at least more than I ever did. I watched a bear kill a fawn in the fall. On the same hunt a friend of mine also had a friend that witnessed the same thing. There was a guy on CouesWhitetail or Facebook (I forgot which) who posted a picture of a bear he killed with a dead fawn. I really think these bears are putting a serious hurt on the deer during fawning season.