Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Favorite Find

As a life-long arrowhead hunter, 10,000year old arrowheads are great to find but this 1781 big copper Cent, personal find from a farm field near West Point New York is probably my favorite pick-up...

To think a First American held this, in their hand, in the birth-place of this Country... A humbling Honor...

That's an old coin Oneshot but not 1781. That's Queen Victoria on a British or Canadian coin. Coin would have been struck sometime during her monarchy 1837-1901. I found an 1872 Victorian silver half dollar outside an old bunkhouse in southern NM. It's pretty worn, wonder how many poker games it was in?post-11051-0-93457000-1452144675_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2

As a life-long arrowhead hunter, 10,000year old arrowheads are great to find but this 1781 big copper Cent, personal find from a farm field near West Point New York is probably my favorite pick-up...

To think a First American held this, in their hand, in the birth-place of this Country... A humbling Honor...

I think I may have one very similar to that one. I'll check when I get home tonight. Growing up I managed to collect a few coins over the years but the one I have that is like that one is very very worn.

I found a dime at qt Monday. Spent it yesterday in globe.

The desiccant and chocolate syrup cans look like something a fire crew left. We found some K rations in an old burn once. Still good. Sat on a rock and ate em. Found lots of arrow heads over the years. One time I was walking down a trail with a little snow on it. There was a bear track in the snow and I was paying attention to em while walking. The snow ended and in one of the bear tracks in the mud was an arrowhead. If I hadn't been looking at the tracks I wouldn't have seen it. Lark

The desiccant and chocolate syrup cans look like something a fire crew left. We found some K rations in an old burn once. Still good. Sat on a rock and ate em. Found lots of arrow heads over the years. One time I was walking down a trail with a little snow on it. There was a bear track in the snow and I was paying attention to em while walking. The snow ended and in one of the bear tracks in the mud was an arrowhead. If I hadn't been looking at the tracks I wouldn't have seen it. Lark

I thought the same thing about fire crew leftovers but what the heck do you use hersey chocolate syrup on 2 miles out on a ridge??? Sorry, no fire fighting experience!!!

I wish I had photos of all the arrowheads and native american artifacts my dad found on private land here in NM. The coolest was a leather awl made from the jaw bone of a deer. It was all donated to the Maxwell Museum at UNM in Albuquerque. One year the sheriff had to call out the local forensic anthropologist from UNM to determine the skull that washed down the arroyo was not a recent homicide but an old indian burial.

Back in the mid 90s I lived just off el cerro mission. I used to walk to my friends house in cypress gardens off meadow lake rd. I would find more artifacts then you could shake a stick at. Of course this is well before the area was developed. We later moved to terra Grande and I used to find some really cool stuff in the manzanos. Too bad I never had a camera back then.

I thought the same thing about fire crew leftovers but what the heck do you use hersey chocolate syrup on 2 miles out on a ridge??? Sorry, no fire fighting experience!!!

Maybe bear bait.

Hot chocolate. Them old fire crews grabbed whatever was on hand and took off. Maybe they just drank it. No tellin'. Lark

Kind of interesting to think as well about the worth of a half dollar in that day compared to our current half dollar value. When you consider what labor wages were in that time period......I bet there weren't alot of people walking around with one of those in their pocket.

Heal......I don't even have one in my pocket and it would take 3 of them for the Dr. Pepper in the vending machine down the hall!!!

Old human skull is probably my coolest find.....I reported it and sheriff came out to collect it and it fell apart into tiny pieces :(

wish I never reported it, but I guess it would have fallen apart if left there too. It's a place that erodes whenever it rains. Each year I see more small bones that become visible.

post-1-0-34329500-1452484672.jpg

post-1-0-31553800-1452484683_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-24170400-1452484693_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-06187500-1452484717_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Cool thread.

When I was a kid we regularly found arrow heads in Indian Bend wash near 40th Street & Cactus here in Phoenix. Prior to development the wash was an impressive mesquite bosque where native Americans hunted. We did too but with BB guns.

• Like 2

Cool thread.

When I was a kid we regularly found arrow heads in Indian Bend wash near 40th Street & Cactus here in Phoenix. Prior to development the wash was an impressive mesquite bosque where native Americans hunted. We did too but with BB guns.

Hmmmm. Do i know you? I also frequented that wash with the Daisy.

• Like 1

Crazy. How old is the skull

One the experts for Human remains at the AZ State museum said that based on the tooth wear that it was prehistoric, likely several hundred years old, but that he couldn't say exactly without finding some artifacts associated with it. I haven't seen artifacts with it unfortunately. I think it's likely a Native American that lived in the area hundreds of years ago. The guy from the state museum said that the light colored layer above the skull might be ash deposit from a firepit above the burial.