Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeyehunter

Hiking in the dark

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this so the powers-that-be can move it if necessary.

Well after two hunting buddies flaked out, looks like I'm going on my first solo bow hunt for deer. Headed out to unit 22. Was wondering what the best time to start is. I have about an hour hike in to my glossing spot. I would assume it would be ideal to be in position around first light. This would obviously mean packing in when it's still dark outside. Anybody have any advice on this? Is it a bad idea? I will obviously have my sidearm and flashlight with me. I'm not sure of the mountain lion presence in the area so it has me slightly worried.

Most of us try to get to our spot about 30 minutes to an hour before sunrise. This gives everything around time to settle.

• Like 2

Most of us try to get to our spot about 30 minutes to an hour before sunrise. This gives everything around time to settle.

Most of you must like to be cold and tired I guess..

• Like 2

Don't worry about lions, nothing will ever happen with them. They will disappear before you see them. Headlamps work well. I'm not a fan of the cold, so I pick different areas as you would in the winter. I'm hardcore I guess in the fall. During that time, my biggest fear ever is a skunk at night/early morning.

• Like 1

but what about snakes?

Snakes scare me too. After I get spooked by a rattler, it seems like I'm looking more for snakes rather than deer. Sometimes, it's over if I can't get my head straight again. I'll try again later, or the next day.
  • Like 1

snakes..............schmakes

lions and bears................who cares

dueling banjos off in the distance...................run like heck

• Like 6

but what about snakes?

Snakes scare me too. After I get spooked by a rattler, it seems like I'm looking more for snakes rather than deer. Sometimes, it's over if I can't get my head straight again. I'll try again later, or the next day.

im the same way.

This next 1:29 can change all that.https://youtu.be/QLLLr2Li0Qc

Ha ha ha ha that's great! This is totally me when I hike in the dark by myself! My mind really starts wondering about the what if's

• Like 1

Go in the afternoon before and sleep out in your glassing spot so youre in position and dont disturb anything while stumbling around in the dark. I cant tell you how many times ive heard the pounding of little hooves in the dark and then seen the little white flags bouncing away in the beam of my head lamp.