Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

If you had 25 points

A good friend of mine is going into the draw this year with 25 points. We have been looking at 5b as his first choice. We have a place where we can stay in Happy Jack making scouting trips a little easier. Plus we could use it as base camp during the hunt. I have heard there are some great bucks in 10, but it would make it hard to scout often.

I would like to hear some ideas on what you would do. David

4A and 4B are a couple of great antelope units but I think I would go with 10, lots of big bucks over there and you don't need to do much scouting to find them.

• Like 1

5b and 19a are two of the top units right now. 10 has good bucks but with the number of tags it's gotta get annoying with all those people. 4a is another great unit.

DO NOT put in for 4b with 25 points. Will be a terrible mistake. 4b used to be a good unit before they raised the tags to 30. Hunted 4b Archery with my friend two years ago and it was tough finding a buck over 80". Throw in 2 rifle hunts since and 4b is headed to the crapper. Give pronghorn guide service a call and they will tell you anything and everything you need to know about the units in AZ.

• Like 2

If you don't have a butt load of time and gas money to scout unti 10 is a tough hunt. Big bucks there for sure but a lot of private property and checkerboard area to deal with.

Unit 10 Antelope tag will cost you $500 extra this year for the trespass fee if you hunt the west side of the unit.

With the new system you can sell your points to help someone get a tag and then turn your tag back in and get your points back. You can make enough money to hire a guide so you wont have to scout/hunt.

• Like 2

10 on the ranch will be great with only 30 tags this year. 25 points should guarantee the tag with all of the BS going on also. Better contact Elusive Pursuit Outfitters and hire them now so you can guarantee your access permit. Craig Steel seems like a good dude and I would ask for him. If unguided and no access to ranch you might have wasted a lot of points for below average goats and competing with 70 other hunters.

• Like 2

10 on the ranch will be great with only 30 tags this year. 25 points should guarantee the tag with all of the BS going on also. Better contact Elusive Pursuit Outfitters and hire them now so you can guarantee your access permit. Craig Steel seems like a good dude and I would ask for him. If unguided and no access to ranch you might have wasted a lot of points for below average goats and competing with 70 other hunters.

Seems like the fair and right thing for the ranch to do would be only sell the access permits and trophy fee permits to tag holders. If the ranch wants to limit total people on the ranch(which they do) they could limit the assistants, if a guide is present.

So it sounds like this Elusive Pursuit Outfitters has already planned to corner the market and secure all the permits. I would never contact an outfitter whose priority was greed and wanting sole rights.

• Like 2

So it sounds like this Elusive Pursuit Outfitters has already planned to corner the market and secure all the permits. I would never contact an outfitter whose priority was greed and wanting sole rights.

I got news for you they ALL want these things!!!! I was part of the BS for a long time and can tell you new outfitters might have a little love and romance for the hunt but after a while it becomes a Job and then they think exactly that....profit and private ground. ....

• Like 1

i am confused on this boquillas thing did it change? it cost me 65 bucks or whatever last year what is with it this year?

I got news for you they ALL want these things!!!! I was part of the BS for a long time and can tell you new outfitters might have a little love and romance for the hunt but after a while it becomes a Job and then they think exactly that....profit and private ground. ....