Analogkid1014

Ice Fishing

Heading up to Horshoe Cienega and Sunrise lake this weekend to do some trout fishing, If anyone wants a report let me know. Not sure how many on here actually ice fish. I will post some pics when we get back for anyone interested.

• Like 2

WE always did well at Sunrise on small 1 inch black grubs with a small lead head. We would just jig it at differnt dephts until we got a bite.

I grew up ice fishing in Iowa. I miss that! My kids were asking me about it the other day. If I could justify it, I'd invest in all new gear! Good luck!

• Like 1

I hope the fish in sunrise don't winter kill this year. We caught a mess of good fish last spring there. Good luck.

Brian

• Like 1

I grew up ice fishing in Iowa. I miss that! My kids were asking me about it the other day. If I could justify it, I'd invest in all new gear! Good luck!

have you been ice fishing here yet? its good, you can stack the fish. but sadly when you pull them out of the ice, theyre trout. the brookies in sunrise are pretty sweet looking though

• Like 1

Crescent is only accessible by snow machine. Wouldn't waste time, game amd fish reported a fish kill there this fall due to pH and some other factors. Fishing was good at sunrise until 930am amd just died, went to horsehoe this afternoom, from 4 tI'll dark was good but all small. Will post pics later

• Like 3

have you been ice fishing here yet? its good, you can stack the fish. but sadly when you pull them out of the ice, theyre trout. the brookies in sunrise are pretty sweet looking though

I haven't been since I've lived in AZ. I haven't been able to bring myself to trust the ice. That and its 2.5-3 hours away to get into anywhere I would trust the ice.

Sunrise is Really low, hopefully the moisture will replenish the springs that feed it. When i talked to the Game and fish officer at the lake last spring he said that the springs stopped flowing a few years ago and is why the lake is so low and not filling. Fishing was good Saturday morning on jigs and power bait, all but one was 18" or so and fat. looked like footballs. After some lunch we headed out to Horseshoe, fishing was slow until 4pm but really turned after that. We caught quite a few rainbows all 10-12" , no size. Went back to sunrise on Sunday and got blanked, not even a bite. Think the front shut them down. the wind was brutal, gusting over 40mph with blowing snow. Cant wait to get back up there the first of May for 5 days. The fishing should be really good

post-13452-0-78221800-1453739254_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

I used to ice fish up there all the time. Would catch em using a small 1/4 spoon with a single hook tipped with a meal worm. If there is a bunch of snow on top of the ice, clear an area around the hole to let light thru the ice. Using the spoon attracts em like a cowbell!

I brought my ice gear down from Nebraska if anyone wants to go give it a try this weekend. I'm new to the state so wouldn't know where to go!