Non-Typical Solutions

Surveillance Cameras

Teaching school at the Jr. High and coaching has brought many surprised to my house over the last twenty years, eggs, mustard, ketchup, salsa, pumpkins and the likes.

I turned a kid in to the cops one day, he was dumping tires into our local park dumpster, he saw me I saw him....so when I started getting crap written all over my vehicles and house I knew who was doing that.

It comes in spurts and I can usually narrow things down to culprits. Having a teenager at the high school who freely speaks his mind doesn't help any.

I have set up trail cameras and caught a couple of hoodlums through the years but they don't do the best coverage.

I live on a corner that is easy drive by bombing, my kids bicycles frequently got stolen as it was easy hit and run there too.

Finally getting fed up with it and wondering if anybody has recommendations for a not sophisticated system that I can buy and install myself. I don't need something that pings info to my ancient flip phone, just something that will record good enough that I can identify perpetrators.

We usually get hit when I am gone on the weekends, so last weekend while we were away for a wrestling tournament we got hit, and then again last night!!!!

I set up the ones from harbor freight at my grand fathers house. Had 3 cameras all feeding into an older TV. Worked fine several times. The key is recording everything constantly with a date/time stamp. That will be a program for your computer etc.

Good luck to you.

A coworker recently purchased a system from Fry's Electronics for around $200 . Four cameras, motion activated, will ping your cell. Decent clarity.

I would put a highly visible camera for all to see, then a couple more hidden small cameras nearby to catch any closer up action. The big camera should deter most action and the smaller ones will catch anything that happens elsewhere. plenty of system options out there.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Defender-Connected-Pro-8-Channel-960H-2TB-Surveillance-System-with-8-800TVL-Camera-21326/205401932

+1 to the motion sensor lights. A couple of those on either sides of the house. Those are dogs are 2 of the greatest deterrents.

I have motion lights already, that was my first attempt to deter.......my dog goes to school with me and is the town pet....I will never get her to chase anybody.

I caught one kid on my trail cam writing A-hole on my drive way with mustard.....but most incidents I think look to be drive by.

I would love to sit watch with a paintball gun........

Someone mentioned Fry's, and that's where I got mine.

I think I got the cheaper DLink system for $50 a camera. It'll ping your phone, as mentioned above.

What I think you need is a DVR Recorder system. It's fairly easy to install, and probably around $200. It'll record everything it sees. When it runs out, it'll just record over itself unless told not to.

Fry's is your friend. Most have a step by step that will hook up to your router. If you need any help send me a PM.

• Like 1

Sit out there with a 12 gauge loaded with rock salt. I still have nightmares from my youth getting blasted with that stuff.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that.

Do some online searching. It's easy to DIY as the systems can be very modular. You basically need cameras and a DVR and a way to control everything. The great thing is you can get as simple or high tech as you want with any individual piece of the system.

They even make cameras now specifically designed to record license plate numbers. You'll just need the aimed in the right direction. The DVR should be big enough to record for the duration of your usual "away" periods. This time frame will also be effected by how many cameras are feeding the DVR.

It's been a little while since I dug deep in this but there are plenty of resources out there. Good luck in your efforts.

My last house was a corner house in a great neighborhood...never again!

If it ain't the retired wannabe McGruff the Crime Dog folks complaining about the most ridiculous crap because they walk by your place every single day to get their mail it is teenagers and random strangers parked next to your lot leaving garbage, throwing crap over the fence, teasing the dog, breaking into the vehicles. Stopping now before I enter random endless rant mode. :angry:

I am amazed we pay premiums for those lots!

motion lights - basically gives them light to do what they want - in a limited time

the ones that have cameras are better at least they record or take pictures at the same time frame

others I know have the dvr recording system - like 4 cameras - after being caught once or twice and police can easily id them - no more problems - he had trail cameras at one time they just stold them

Good Luck

Claymores with that marking dye they put in money bags that blow up all over the perp.

• Like 1

There are wireless security cameras that run six months off the batteries and use your WI FI has built in DVR and you can tune in live. About $250 last I looked, then it can be anywhere.

• Like 1