Sign in to follow this  
Ethicsovereverything

Passed on big buck. Right move?

Well CC I am a fairly new hunter so I don't really know what I'm doing yet. That doesn't stop me from trying. Yesterday I was out in my area hiking a trail to the area I wanted to sit. About a quarter mile in I look to my left and a huge 4x4 whitetail is about 17 yards away. I stop nock a arrow and think I finally will have a deer. There were about 4 mesquite trees between us and no possible way for arrow to go unimped. I decided to not take the shot. I tried coming around on him, but he took off when I came within 60 yards again. My question is did I make the right choice? Will arrows be able to go through some brush?

• Like 4

You made the right choice, a small weed will throw off your shot. Arrows just can't cut brush. Good call on your part. Well done.

• Like 5

I am not an archery hunter but yes you did make the right choice. I would say the arrow wouldn't have stayed on the same flight path once it hit a branch

• Like 1

I think you made the right choice. Like QhunterAZ said above ^^^ even the smallest weed or branch can throw that arrow way off. I think we owe it to the animal to make the most humane and ethical shot as possible without injuring it and never to be found again.

I was in a similar situation a couple weeks back. Me and a buddy went out for some deer/javi hunting. We were following some heavy pig sign, when my buddy (who is about 50 yards in front of me) signals me to turn around. I look behind me and there is a tall 3x3 muley about 60 yards from me walking solo. I don't think he seen us because he was casually walking to the top of the hill. That would've been a perfect shot, BUT there was too much cholla and brush in the way to make a clean shot. No way that arrow would've hit its mark. We ended up slowly making our way up the hill to find him. Never did find him. That's hunting.

When I stalked in on my first little harvested mule buck, and as he was following a doe and finally came to a stop, I distinctly remember thinking "Oh my, I finally have a deer at 40 yards, and there is nothing in my way!"

95% of archers who have been successful have a deflected arrow story that came first. Great call, not worth the risk.

• Like 2

Good call. It's hard to make those calls especially when you're new to hunting and you're itching for the kill but good on you for doing it right. You can hunt him another day.

A couple weeks ago I was in the same situation with a 3x4 muley at 25 yards and decided to pass on him due to palo verde branches between us. It's tough to watch them walk away but it's a whole lot easier than watching them run off injured, never to be found again.

• Like 1

First off, it is not ethical to like your own post, :) second ethics are not over a good prime rib. Other than that I like your handle. :)

Arrows can get through brush, but unlikely and in my opinion not worth the risk.

You did the right thing it would be a shame to lose this buck or any animal

There will be a lot of those situations that come up if you stay with it. You did the right thing, and when the time is right and you know it, thread that needle.

too many archers make bad choices on questionable shots .

way to many tales of lost injured deer that are never recovered

you made the right choice

• Like 1