Sign in to follow this  
JakeL

Recommend a Concealed Carry Class

Who can recommend a good concealed carry class? I'm looking for a simple and straightforward class. Nothing too long or fancy. I'm located in the east valley.

A concealed carry class is a good idea but one doesn't have to attend a class to get a concealed carry permit here in Az. :)

TJ

A concealed carry class is a good idea but one doesn't have to attend a class to get a concealed carry permit here in Az. :)

TJ

Dont you have to take the class to get the actual permit? Obviously you dont need a permit to carry concealed.

Corrected. I meant DONT need

there is no permit required to carry a concealed weapon in Az. Where you guys been? Jan Brewer signed the bill into law. You can get one if you want, but it isn't required in Az for Az resident adults. There are some stipulations and you should be familiar with the law. Lark

My whole family went through FAST-AZ

They are very good and they do every aspect so you leave only needing a cashiers check and stamps. We shot at Ben Avery and did the class at cabelas.

Highly recommend anyone carrying to take a good all day course, I learned a lot on the laws in az and other states.

Even some I though I was good on and I was completely wrong.

My wife just sent her packet in, my son, dad, mom, sister all went through.

If you think you can handle yourself and a firearm well take this course with simulated real world scenario and you learn real quick you are not as solid as you think.

• Like 1

Hunters Ed or Military discharge papers is proof of training if you don't want to take the class.

• Like 1

Hunters Ed or Military discharge papers is proof of training if you don't want to take the class.

Now that i didnt know. Ill haveto look into that beacause mine expired and every dam time I buy a firearm through an ffl my app gets suspended for the full 3 days. Ifs irritating because my record is clean as they come.

Now that i didnt know. Ill haveto look into that beacause mine expired and every dam time I buy a firearm through an ffl my app gets suspended for the full 3 days. Ifs irritating because my record is clean as they come.

There may be something else going on like someone who is a prohibited possesor having a similar name. Mine expired 5 years ago and I never had a problem with purchases.

There may be something else going on like someone who is a prohibited possesor having a similar name. Mine expired 5 years ago and I never had a problem with purchases.

Not sure. Its been that way for years. Thats the whole reason i got my ccw last time. I was told by one ffl it may be because i was born in japan but who knows.

Yup. But if a guy wants to carry when he's traveling to a few other states, having a permit is good. So I'm looking for a class :)

after you get the ccw you have to check to what states you can carry with an arizona ccw, not every state allow you that.

What are the rules about carrying in states outside of Arizona?

It is extremely important that all Arizona Permit holders be aware of the CCW requirements and laws of all reciprocating/recognizing states. An Arizona CCW permit does not supersede any other state's law or CCW requirements. Persons carrying an Arizona permit are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

If you are an Arizona permit holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your Arizona permit, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there.

Some states only recognize permits from persons who are a resident of the issuing state.

Some states have an active CCW reciprocal agreement on file with the State of Arizona. This means your Arizona permit allows you to carry concealed under their respective state statute, and Arizona will reciprocate by recognizing CCW permits issued by these states, regardless of whether they are "Resident" or "Non-Resident," if so marked. Please click here for additional information.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Reciprocity/

Warning: It is extremely important that all Arizona Permit holders be aware of the CCW requirements and laws of all reciprocating/recognizing states. An Arizona CCW permit does not supersede any other state's law or CCW requirements. Persons carrying an Arizona permit are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.

If you are an Arizona permit holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your Arizona permit, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there.

Some states only recognize permits from persons who are a resident of the issuing state.

I obtained my CCW permit a few months back and I did not have to take a CCW permit class. Here are a few facts but you can look it up yourself by going to www.azdps.gov. and follow the CCW permit steps which will answer all your questions.

One of the questions is how do I apply for an Arizona CCW permit. You may contact the permit unit via email to obtain an application packet. The packet will include a permit application, two fingerprint cards, a pre-addressed return envelope and instructions. Send the completed, proof of firearms competence, two classifiable fingerprint cards, and the applicable fee to DPS.

My az hunter safety class qualified as proof of firearm competence. It cost me $60 paid to DPS and I think the fingerprinting was $35. There are plenty of fingerprinting places here in Az. I went to one on Main Street just west of County Club here in Mesa. I received my CCW around 5 weeks in the mail.

There are also questions pertaining to CCW permit renewal and a bunch of miscellaneous questions that should answer all your needs.

I hope this clears up a few questions and if I can be of any other help pm me. :)

TJ

• Like 2

Yes, you don't need it in AZ. But when you take the class from a good outfit, you learn a lot about the laws. A lot is self explanatory, but there are some quirky laws out there you need to be aware of. Never a bad idea to have too much information on something like gun laws.

• Like 1