HNTNGUY

Which LR scope do I buy?

I remeber from talking with a Leupold rep . One of the main diferances between the mark 4 line and the VX line was the mark 4 have twin erector claws in the turret/redicl and the VX has a single arm.

the VX3 long range models have twin erectors as well. Basically the same as the MK4 scope but I think I remember the MK4's housing is a little beefier.

The RZ 800 and 1000 are ballistic reticles with holdover lines below and/or above the main crosshair. The plex is just a crosshair

My vote would be Leupold or Zeiss. Best scopes for the money. Go with MOA and SFP unless you like to use retilcles instead of turrets. If you prefer using the reticle for holdover instead of dialing turrets definitely go with FFP. Other than that there really isnt any advantage and you will be paying a few hundred more for a scope in FFP vs the same scope in SFP.

I think I need a masters degree in science and math to uderstand all them numbers You put up Lance..LOL....Or just been a long day at work and My brain can't comprend'e.............BOB!

I'm in no way an expert but here is my opinion, granted I've only been hunting for 8 years or so. The most recent scope I purchased was a Leupold Vx-6 4-24x56 MOA. The 2 I bought before it, were both Vortex Razors, 5-20x56 FFP MRAD.

The biggest thing I was looking for was a zero stop. I can't tell you how many times I've heard my friends say they were unsure if they put their scope back to zero after shooting at something. Sometimes it's easy to tell, other times not so much. For me it was a must.

When I bought the razors I was reading the pros about FFP and decided I'd check it out. Having the same zero throughout the magnification adjustment was a plus for sure! Learning the MRAD turrets was a change but I tape the drop chart to the gun so no big deal. The Razors are great and the zero stop is awesome. For me 20x or more is also a plus. The down side to them were weight and turret size. The oversized exposed turrets are nice but a little to big at times.

I'm really glad I bought the VX-6. The more I thought about it, I began to realize one thing; all the shots I've taken at Coues deer, were with the scope on full power. SFP would be good enough. With the CDS turrets you can get a zero stop turret. Lighter than the Razor and I believe lighter than the nightforce also. I put it on a 300 RUM and although I only get one rotation on the turret, it's good out to 950. I shot my buck in Mexico a couple weeks ago at 727 and its a lot easier to have the yardage on the turret vs MOA or MRAD adjustments.

The biggest recommendations I have for you is take your time and look at as many scopes as you can. Think about all the features of each scope and if you would actually use them or not. I will say, check out the VX-6 it's an awesome scope for sure!

• Like 1

Huskemaw? Have you looked thru one? I was not impressed with the optical quality of them at all. I suppose everyone's eyes are different, but the Huskemaw's did not do it for me. I would go with a Leupold for lightweight and still getting great optics.

• Like 2

Huskemaw? Have you looked thru one? I was not impressed with the optical quality of them at all. I suppose everyone's eyes are different, but the Huskemaw's did not do it for me. I would go with a Leupold for lightweight and still getting great optics.

I couldn't agree more. I would rather have a Vortex Viper over a Huskemaw. The two I have seen were nothing to write home about, especially for the price. There is a reason the originator and founder of Gunwerks quit the company and now uses Nightforce scopes rather than his former startup company.

I couldn't agree more. I would rather have a Vortex Viper over a Huskemaw. The two I have seen were nothing to write home about, especially for the price. There is a reason the originator and founder of Gunwerks quit the company and now uses Nightforce scopes rather than his former startup company.

I was speaking out my arse. Nightforce baby!

• Like 1

For clarity and sight picture it depends on your eye balls. I have "special eyes" only good quality glass works for me (higher end vortex, Leaupold, zeiss, haven't tried others) I have friends who use cheap glass and claim it's good for them. Seeing how they shoot I would agree.... It's good, for them!! It all depends on you sight and mines crappy. When it comes to dusk til dawn and heat wave situations, the better the glass the better you can see. Cheap glass works in most situations if your eyeballs are good but in the situations that you actually need it to kill, I'd buy good.

• Like 2