lionhunter

260 Rem or 6.5 creedmoore???

I have a Browning A Bolt in .243 that I am seriously thinking of converting to 6.5 caliber. So far I really like the sounds of the 260 Remington and the 6.5 creed. Can someone who has messed with both give me the pro' and con's????? ( on paper they seem very simular)

Also, can someone recomend a good smith to do the work

Thanks,

Whitey

Balisticly they are very close. I'm no expert, but it appears that the 6.5 is a little easier to find good loads compared to the 260. Plus the supplies for the creedmoor are more available than the 260. If it was me I would go with the creedmoor.

I use magnum mikes in Phoenix for all my gun work. I used to use Phoenix customs, but I finally got tired of their attitude and lack of respect to the customer.

Adam

• Like 1

do they both require the same bolt face? i know the 260 uses the same bolt as a 243, but not sure about the creedmore

If you reload, the .260 makes the most sense as you should already have plenty of .243 brass you can simply neck up and be on your way. If you are looking for high quality factory ammo at a decent price that is relatively easy to find then the Creed is the way to go. Ballistically there is really only about 50fps difference between the two.

Balisticly they are very close. I'm no expert, but it appears that the 6.5 is a little easier to find good loads compared to the 260. Plus the supplies for the creedmoor are more available than the 260. If it was me I would go with the creedmoor.

I use magnum mikes in Phoenix for all my gun work. I used to use Phoenix customs, but I finally got tired of their attitude and lack of respect to the customer.

Adam

I thought I was the only one with those problems with Phoenix...

If you don't reload, CM is the way to go. They have great factory rounds!

• Like 2

Not to pile on ...But the boys at Phx customs could be the biggest bunch of ***clowns iv'e ever dealt with. Rude,arrogant,pricks....Basically held my rifle hostage till I paid more then the quote, barrel is two inches shorter then it is supposed to be and it is the wrong twist. Told me to pound sand......

Same experience with Phx customs here as well. I would never use them again. My buddy also got the arrogance as well.

Phoenix Custom Rifles has always treated me very well. Amazing rifles, amazing accuracy, quick turnaround time, good pricing. I usually know exactly what I want and go in with a rock solid game plan.

• Like 1

Not to pile on ...But the boys at Phx customs could be the biggest bunch of ***clowns iv'e ever dealt with. Rude,arrogant,pricks....Basically held my rifle hostage till I paid more then the quote, barrel is two inches shorter then it is supposed to be and it is the wrong twist. Told me to pound sand......

Off by 2 inches and they still get paid?! That must be nice, most of the stuff I make I'd have to throw it away if I was off by .002".

If they messed up your barrel and then just cut it short to cover their mistake, that goes beyond poor craftsmanship and is straight up unethical business practice. Id have bought a new barrel if it was my business, but I'm one of those weird people that cant make a customer pay for a mistake.

• Like 3

Short version of issues I had.....I dropped off a complete model 700 BDL short action 243.

Ordered a full build 6.5 creedmore, Was very specific about what I wanted ( This is not my first build and knew exactly what I wanted )

McMillan hunter stock with edge tech

Brux # 5 fluted barrel Finished at 24 inches without brake, 1/8 twist

APS medium brake

Timney trigger set at 2

Plus the basics

I received a build sheet with a total cost for the build, They tried to convince me to use a HTG style stock, I had never held that stock so I went to McMillan and tried several different stocks out. I decided to stick with the hunter style stock and placed the order for it while I was at McMillan. The order was placed in PCR name and they paid for it. Several weeks after I dropped off the rifle I received a call asking me for the bottom metal, I stated I had given them a complete rifle, I was told they must have given me back the bottom metal because they could not find it. Had to buy new bottom metal. Was told the build would take 4/6 months....9 months later I received a call stating the rifle was done. I was given various reasons as to why it took longer then was estimated. When I went to get it the first thing I noticed was that the brake was not the one I ordered and the action was not in the stock straight !!!.and the craftsmanship was terrible, When I brought this to Keith's attention he became VERY angry and told me how long he worked to get the action straight in the stock as it was inleted off center and he forgot to order the aps brake and new I was in a hurry to get the rifle so he used a badger. After a long back and forth I was told I could take the stock back to McMillan and take it up with them. But only after I paid for the rifle in full in cash as they had a lot of money tied up and need to be paid. I refused to pay cash and gave them a check.... So I took the stock to McMillan they looked at it and immediately apologized and stated they would remake it. 4 months later I took the stock back to PCR and gave it to Keith, He was very rude and stated he would get to when he had a chance ....Would give no time frame.....months later I was in Alaska on a fishing trip when I received a phone call stating my rifle was ready, I told Keith I was out of town and would pick it up in about 10 days, I was told that was unacceptable and it needed to picked up within 24 hrs. I had my wife pick up the rifle when she got there she was told there was a 250.00 charge, She called me and when I asked Keith why there was a charge I was told he had bedded it twice and time is money if I wanted my rifle pay it or get out of his shop. So my wife paid it and left. When I got back into town I noticed the rifle looked great but still had the badger brake on it. Decided not to call PCR as it was just not worth it. Several weeks later I started working up loads with a friend of mine in Tucson....When I break in a new barrel I shoot one then clean the barrel for the first 10 rounds. Shot the first round and it took me 30 min to get all the copper out....this barrel had been shot a bunch !!!! Now PCR told me they don't shoot their rifles !!!... So my buddy bore scoped the barrel, showed lots of ware...we did a little more work found it was a 1/9 twist not 1/8....Called PCR got the run around as to when I could bring it back. So I showed up the next morning. To say things were heated would be an understatement....Bottom line they refused to look at the barrel told me I was crazy......I could go on for pages with all the shoot I went through with them....oh and the barrel is only 22.2 inches long

• Like 1

Somebody will yell at me but I think it's plain that I don't care if they do. But ain't these like the yugo and prius of the .264's? I'd much rather have a .243 than either of these things. The 260 is another attempt by remington to simply neck down the .308 and try to sell it as a wonder round. The creed is just a .300 savage necked down. Even less potential than the 260. These are a couple pud rounds with little development put into them, that don't have the potential to do much after a few hundred yards. The 260 makes most sense because 308 brass is easy to find. But when you're done you have a 2700 fps slug of a round. And no matter what anyone says, velocity matters. If you hafta have a 6.5, look at the hot rods available. Save your money, keep it a 243. If you hafta have a 264, look at some of the others that are available. Lark

• Like 4

Short version of issues I had.....I dropped off a complete model 700 BDL short action 243.

Ordered a full build 6.5 creedmore, Was very specific about what I wanted ( This is not my first build and knew exactly what I wanted )

McMillan hunter stock with edge tech

Brux # 5 fluted barrel Finished at 24 inches without brake, 1/8 twist

APS medium brake

Timney trigger set at 2

Plus the basics

I received a build sheet with a total cost for the build, They tried to convince me to use a HTG style stock, I had never held that stock so I went to McMillan and tried several different stocks out. I decided to stick with the hunter style stock and placed the order for it while I was at McMillan. The order was placed in PCR name and they paid for it. Several weeks after I dropped off the rifle I received a call asking me for the bottom metal, I stated I had given them a complete rifle, I was told they must have given me back the bottom metal because they could not find it. Had to buy new bottom metal. Was told the build would take 4/6 months....9 months later I received a call stating the rifle was done. I was given various reasons as to why it took longer then was estimated. When I went to get it the first thing I noticed was that the brake was not the one I ordered and the action was not in the stock straight !!!.and the craftsmanship was terrible, When I brought this to Keith's attention he became VERY angry and told me how long he worked to get the action straight in the stock as it was inleted off center and he forgot to order the aps brake and new I was in a hurry to get the rifle so he used a badger. After a long back and forth I was told I could take the stock back to McMillan and take it up with them. But only after I paid for the rifle in full in cash as they had a lot of money tied up and need to be paid. I refused to pay cash and gave them a check.... So I took the stock to McMillan they looked at it and immediately apologized and stated they would remake it. 4 months later I took the stock back to PCR and gave it to Keith, He was very rude and stated he would get to when he had a chance ....Would give no time frame.....months later I was in Alaska on a fishing trip when I received a phone call stating my rifle was ready, I told Keith I was out of town and would pick it up in about 10 days, I was told that was unacceptable and it needed to picked up within 24 hrs. I had my wife pick up the rifle when she got there she was told there was a 250.00 charge, She called me and when I asked Keith why there was a charge I was told he had bedded it twice and time is money if I wanted my rifle pay it or get out of his shop. So my wife paid it and left. When I got back into town I noticed the rifle looked great but still had the badger brake on it. Decided not to call PCR as it was just not worth it. Several weeks later I started working up loads with a friend of mine in Tucson....When I break in a new barrel I shoot one then clean the barrel for the first 10 rounds. Shot the first round and it took me 30 min to get all the copper out....this barrel had been shot a bunch !!!! Now PCR told me they don't shoot their rifles !!!... So my buddy bore scoped the barrel, showed lots of ware...we did a little more work found it was a 1/9 twist not 1/8....Called PCR got the run around as to when I could bring it back. So I showed up the next morning. To say things were heated would be an understatement....Bottom line they refused to look at the barrel told me I was crazy......I could go on for pages with all the shoot I went through with them....oh and the barrel is only 22.2 inches long

Yeah, I won't use them again. You can't even ask them a question without them getting all bent out of shape and down right rude.

• Like 2

Somebody will yell at me but I think it's plain that I don't care if they do. But ain't these like the yugo and prius of the .264's? I'd much rather have a .243 than either of these things. The 260 is another attempt by remington to simply neck down the .308 and try to sell it as a wonder round. The creed is just a .300 savage necked down. Even less potential than the 260. These are a couple pud rounds with little development put into them, that don't have the potential to do much after a few hundred yards. The 260 makes most sense because 308 brass is easy to find. But when you're done you have a 2700 fps slug of a round. And no matter what anyone says, velocity matters. If you hafta have a 6.5, look at the hot rods available. Save your money, keep it a 243. If you hafta have a 264, look at some of the others that are available. Lark

But because they are popular in the target community, people think they should be good in the hunting world as well. Myself i want the most caliber and velocity i can get. Tired of tracking coues lol. I would rather use a 338 lapua on coues just to anchor them right where they are. Last year my buck crawled into a huge nasty bush before dying. Had i not seen it happen i would have never found him. And he only went 20 yds.

Sounds like the customer satisfaction I have heard about a gun store in Apache Junction with 3 letters. Too bad because Phoenix Custom would have been my choice for a custom build as all I have ever heard about them was positive.

My guess is they are having financial problems as when that happens attitude and customer satisfaction goes south fast.

What if hypothetically, you could get 2950fps out of a 140 grain bullet with the .260 Rem? Would that make the .260 a viable option? That is nearly .270 Win velocities for the same weight bullet. Something to think about.

But let me take a guess....your next elk rifle would be a .338 Lapua. Just messing with you Lark.