Couzer

Nevada proposing to ban Trail Cameras

Addiction to Video games and cell phones do more to prevent kids from getting a deer than my trail cams do.

The reason there might be less deer in the woods/deserts today has ZERO to do with cameras.

This is such a BS comment ... If trail cams did not help improve the odds of harvesting Quality Big game they would not be being used by 80 % of the guys using them .... What coues32 was stating is ... Greater # of tags than 20 years ago , + new Technology (like Game cams though not the only thing of course) makes for a greater # of big game taken ... I agree the seeing nature via a web cam is cool and I appreciate the pictures as much as any other person ... But to imply that they have ZERO impact on harvest odds especially when it comes to trophy game, you may as well try selling us on you all spending the money and time to catch pictures of Yeti, Big Foot or the Chupacabra .

so you poled all the cam users and this was the results?

bs!

james

WOW... JLW your panties are riding high aren't they ... A poll does not need to be ran to know that they help and that is why they are being used by so many Hunters and almost every Guide. Plenty of threads on CWT that speak to the fact that the majority of hunters using them are trying to gain an advantage .. some with more success than others but all hoping to have that type of success.

Good ole str8 at it again. There's guys using muzzle loaders on rifle hunts,and there's guys still using 30-30's without scopes still. There's guys using traditional bows instead of compounds still. There's guy's using archery equipment during rifle hunts still. I wish i had a bad a$$ super rifle, but i don't have one. I wish i had a compound bow that wasn't 10 years old, but i don't. Point being there's tons of angles to increase your chances in the hunting game, and people tend to pick the instrument or avenue of choice to do just that. Cameras are just one tool that can be utilized or not to increase ones chances in the field, that's it. If your lucky you have all the tools at your disposal, of which i don't. Pics of animals on a cam do nothing without having a ton of disposable time on your hands to do the research it takes to make the camera pic worth even looking at. What i mean by this is the only way a camera pic paid off for us was spending an embarrassing amount of time figuring out the critter we got the pic of. Without having spent that embarrassing amount of time figuring out what the pic actually meant the cams are worthless without pure luck. Even with thousands spent on a pic and hundreds of hours doing the research in the field figuring out the animal half the time the animal still wins. News flash str8, there are no tips or tactics i've learned in hunting that are worth the paper they are written on, or for cams the tree its hung on. Hunting has been hyped into the ground with tips and tactics, and magical potions. IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO ONE THING AND THAT'S TIME SPENT IN THE FIELD DOING RESEARCH, boots on the ground so to speak. The animals are where you find them, end of story. We've had pics of many animals that we would love to harvest, but with out many many trips and hours spent figuring the critter out, the pic is totally worthless other than some goose bumps. All the guys out there looking for magical potions and listening to tips and tactics are totally waisting their time trust me. All that's a smoke screen to get to your wallet. Just get out in the field and you will find the tips and tactic was being just that, being in the field at the end of the day only. It's not rocket science as others would claim, but just a smoke show with mirrors belonging in the fair!!! Cameras are worthless without time in my opinion. The only tip or tactic i've learned worth anything in the least for any species being hunted in az is to be out there learning about your foe, and this includes the tactic of using cameras.

Ya, cameras are worthless. Thats why all the big guides run several hundred in every unit.

Well said and exactly my point. The guys with the time like guides, have the time to figure out the animal instead of just looking at a pic of a big critter. Guides by definition have the time it takes to make the cam pic worth something. My point exactly.

So are you guys saying that if they ban cameras that there are going to be "more" animals to chase?????

Or that if they ban cameras less animals will get killed so G and F can put out more tags????? Or you thinking success rates will go down so they will decrease tags???? Yeah right.

Or that if they ban cameras you are going to kill a bigger animal???

Or that banning cameras will make people work harder????

???????????????????????????

Trust me when I tell you...........all you guys that think banning cameras is going to keep the good outfitters from killing big animals are in for disappointment. That really seems to be the main point behind most of the " in favor of banning" themes.

So many outfitters use soooooooo many it's unfair.

LUAGH OUT LOAD!!!!

• Like 3

I say ban cameras because its getting out of hand. When you show up to water holes and there 6,8,10 cameras on a hole its just stupid.

I don't care who kills more game or bigger animals or what not. You can't take a piss in unit 9 without being on someones camera let alone drop a duce.

Yes they are annoying.

Yes they are useful tools.

Yes a lot of theft occurs.

Yes, they cause a lot of tree damage.

The land is for the use of all the public. Do you see other recreationists leaving devices everywhere? Maybe the shooting crowd leaving junk. Just thinking out loud here, but seem to me that the public leaving stuff on land gets in the way of other people.

BTW, I have used them and do use them from time to time.

• Like 1

So when you find a guides camera on FS land, and know it is a guides camera, do you make a report to the FS? You all do know that commercial use of cameras requires permits on FS land. So if it a guides camera, which seems to be the biggest complaint, they have to follow other rules than a regular hunter. Is it just easier to ban all cameras to make everyone suffer, lumping all camera users into the guide category?

Now we are arguing that cameras make more game being harvested. I call BS on that one. First off the 320 bull you have at 20 yards may walk if you have pictures of a 400 bull. If you didn't know that 400 bull was in the area you might shoot the small bull and be successful, or eat tag soup waiting for that 400 bull. So show the results of more animals being killed because of cameras. I have gone through the success rates here in NM and each unit seems to be about the same every year. My theory is that game camera use has gone up and the harvest rate is staying about the same, so game camera use has not impacted harvest rates and may never do so.

The other factor is I may be out running game cameras all year long and not get drawn. Just because you are running game cameras doesn't mean you are going hunting. Once again not wanting to be lumped in with guides and outfitters that are using them for commercial purposes.

Sounds just like anti gunners----I don't like them so nobody should have them. Guides have 50 BMG's so nobody can use a .22.

• Like 1

Does a animal detect a camera at water, bait, salt, a saddle? Tips the scale in the scouting devices favor.

They banned flying, it is a tool. You have to make regulations ,part of humans always wanting more.

We have little influence on how many tags are issued. More technology, better hunters,more predators. It will come to a halt someday. Why not scale back and help preserve what we have?

I would give up my 15s that I have had since 99 if it meant having great opportunity for my kids.

I would rather buy kids a set of 15's and not give up mine . There is plenty of opportunity. Check the thread about fall hunt recommendations and tell us there are not enough tags being issued because some cameras hang on trees. If you cannot get a deer tag every year you aren't trying.

I have drawn a deer tag here in AZ every year since I was 12 years old. That's been almost 25 years now. It's not hard to figure out how to do it.

• Like 1

OK here's my 2 cents for whatever it is worth. I acknowledge that a game camera can add value to hunting success and definitely does to the experience. I have run numerous cameras for 15+ years and only recall harvesting one animal due to the camera. Before the fires I had a place I had photos of numerous big Coues deer in 2008. I had an elk tag that year so I only planned on one morning prior to my elk hunt to try for one of the big Coues I had on film. Only time I was lucky hunting in my life as in only 3 hours of effort I pulled back on the biggest one I had on camera (a 130 class Coues)but he jumped before I could let my arrow go. One hour later I shot the #2 coues I was aware of. He ended up scoring 124 gross P&Y. With an elk tag in hand I never would have spent the 3 hours to go into the area in advance of my elk hunt but very glad I did. Did the camera aid me in that effort? Of course. But realize I focus more on elk hunting and do not recall any of my family or clients as a guide shooting one of the elk I had on camera. The value I see as a former guide is taking pictures of monster bulls in advance of the hunt to either entice clients, or add to their excitement in advance of their hunts. I also see trail cameras as more of a tool in the dryer hunting units but much less so in Unit #27 that is my focus and with water spread out everywhere. I've never been to a water hole that has more than one camera but that would certainly gross me out. Unfortunately, even though I have the privilege of focusing on some more remote areas than the Phoenix hunters, I have still been a victim of stolen cameras which really gets my blood pressure boiling. Hunter ethics has taken a steep dive into the sewer the last 20 or more years but that is a different subject which I have passion to address under a different forum. Congratulations to all those lucky hunters that drew tags this year. After 45+ years I really appreciate what a privilege that can be!

Does a animal detect a camera at water, bait, salt, a saddle? Tips the scale in the scouting devices favor.

They banned flying, it is a tool. You have to make regulations ,part of humans always wanting more.

We have little influence on how many tags are issued. More technology, better hunters,more predators. It will come to a halt someday. Why not scale back and help preserve what we have?

I would give up my 15s that I have had since 99 if it meant having great opportunity for my kids.

I would rather buy kids a set of 15's and not give up mine . There is plenty of opportunity. Check the thread about fall hunt recommendations and tell us there are not enough tags being issued because some cameras hang on trees. If you cannot get a deer tag every year you aren't trying.

I have drawn a deer tag here in AZ every year since I was 12 years old. That's been almost 25 years now. It's not hard to figure out how to do it.

I have also and still do. There is alot better deer numbers in southern units.

How many deer tags were available in unit 22 when you were 12?

This is just the first step in regulating junk in the woods. Next it will be you will need a license on your camera. How about a $5 permit on each camera. Identification on each camera. Also the shed hunters need a permit. With all of these people tramping around in the woods constantly all year long could have an effect on the animals.

• Like 2

This is just the first step in regulating junk in the woods. Next it will be you will need a license on your camera. How about a $5 permit on each camera. Identification on each camera. Also the shed hunters need a permit. With all of these people tramping around in the woods constantly all year long could have an effect on the animals.

And nobody wants their junk in the woods regulated.........