Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

Anyone hunt Bears in Alaska?

I'm considering going to Alaska for a DIY costal black Bear hunt. I would like to hunt Bears along the coast from a boat. If anyone has done this or has any info on where to go I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam I'm thinking if you are a out of state resident you might be required to have a guide. Just from what I have heard. Good post, I'll will be following this as well

• Like 1

You don't need a guide for black bear. There is a section in Cam Hanes book about DIY Alaska bear hunting.

• Like 1

You don't need a guide for black bear.

Good to know!!!!

It would be a great hunt for sure but quite expensive vs other bear options. Ive only been to AK 2 times but both times the trqvel far exceeded my estimations.

Look up Brian Peterson in Ugak bay at ugakbay.com

I'm looking for a DIY style hunt not a guided hunt. I know of a few outfitters who offer semi guided hunts that I'm considering for about $1500-2500.

Have you considered prince ot Wales island? Time it right you can slip in some fishing too

Adam I would think the semi-guided would be the best option for that kind of deal. I don't know how you would "DIY" with the boat and everything. It definitely sounds like something that should be combined with fishing to make it a complete adventure ;)

• Like 1

It would be a great hunt for sure but quite expensive vs other bear options. Ive only been to AK 2 times but both times the trqvel far exceeded my estimations.

This ^

A coastal AK black bear hunt will require a boat at your disposal in order to stay mobile. Tides are insane and must be monitored, leaving a boat unattended is unwise. Lot of fun and plenty of bears when I went in 2007.

Have you considered prince ot Wales island? Time it right you can slip in some fishing too

Yup, this what my uncle and I did. We went in late September though. Waded up the river and killed two great bears, both right at 19" skulls. The fishing was absolutely incredible as well. Deer on the other hand was a lot tougher, spent all day hiking up to the Alpine on mountains we thought we could manage but didn't have much luck. Although when you hike to the top of a mountain even a small mountain in Alaska it sure does feel like you're on top of the world. You do not need a guide for these hunts. Incredible experience we had, hope someday to do it again.

• Like 2

There are a couple I've found on line they take you by boat and they drop you off shore after you spotted the bear you wanted to chase, and they feed you. You have to do everything else. I've seen it for around 2500. Also check YouTube about Alaska diy black bear hunts. This guys explains how he does it every year for around 1500-2000 diy off the coast

A non-resident black bear tag is $250 and some areas have a three bear limit.

I did it last year. We used a "transporter" that had an 80' boat we stayed on and a smaller boat he ran us around on. We hunted Prince William Sound. It was a great trip and very reasonable. The guy we used sold his boat this spring though. I'll PM you my number. Feel free to give me a call.

• Like 1