Zeke-BE

Grandpa's Springfield 1917 rifle rebuild, maybe 6.5-06?

I am on the other side. If you will use it more often with a little change up, do it. Better than sitting in the safe because it is not something you would use. I think Gramps would rather you use it and enjoy it than for it to sit in a dark safe forever.

• Like 3

OP, here's one old guys mindset; dad will turn 90 in a few months. He gave me this early .06 Gamemaster about 20 years ago and still asks about it. Some 15 years ago and despite my efforts with neatsfoot oil, the sling was finally worn out and had to be replaced. The news upset him even though I kept the original sling...

A couple years later, got a 10 round mag for it. This perplexed him.

But when I mentioned taking off that antique 4X Weaver tube and replacing it with a better scope, I about gave him a stroke. Told him the old 'post and wire hair made it tough to acquire the target beyond 150 yards. His reply, "150 yards, get your butt closer, thought I taught you to hunt better than that." When I left, he refused to make eye contact and was still muttering his distain for shots past 150 yards with that setup.

Point is, there may come a day when you may want to take a deer with that old rifle just exactly like grandpa did.

post-11051-0-69150100-1466091471_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I know the feeling,I have my dad's old model 70 in 30-06 that was made in 1949 with a weaver variable 2 1/2x5.Every now and then I think about doing something with it,but then I back off.Back in the early 50's this was top shelf.

• Like 4

Unless the barrel is shot out don't mess with it IMO.

• Like 2

I'm kinda with lance. I have my dad's old model 70 that has been shot more than most red riders have. Still very accurate but the original stock cracked so it now has another stock (period correct but still not original) and it only shoots good when very dirty and with heavy billets. I don't shoot it much because I have other rifles but I'd shoot it almost exclusively if I put a new barrel on it and tinkered some. I have very few guns that I buy just to sit in the safe and the 5-10 that do, I count them as part of my 401-k if they needed to be sold.

• Like 2

I've decided to not do anything to it. I'll try to build up a load for it and keep it a true old fashion shooter

• Like 5

If grand pappy gave you his old truck would you not put new tires and brakes on it? Maybe overhaul the carb, new belts and hoses?

Get one of those really small welded chain steering wheels so you can drive with handcuffs on.

• Like 1

If grand pappy gave you his old truck would you not put new tires and brakes on it? Maybe overhaul the carb, new belts and hoses?

Get one of those really small welded chain steering wheels so you can drive with handcuffs on.

While trying to keep it original the way gramps had it, what would you do " carb,belts tires" ??? I'm up to other ideas

I agree with leaving it 100%

I would add....USE IT! That would make him happy. For him to know that you give it the importance to use it and cherish it.

• Like 1

You could keep the finish, bluing etc as is and bed the action, run some JB paste through the barrel, upgrade the glass.

I say keep it the way it is and make grandpa proud by shooting a big elk with it. If you had to make something with it, the 1917 has a very beefy action that was popular for big stuff like the 375 h&h.

My dad had one he bought back in the 60's and sporterized himself. I shot it once and remember it as being accurate. It looks like an old Weaver Micro-Trac scope on it. There used to be a guy in El Paso who worked on them but that was a long time ago. They are bulletproof and clear but the present day scopes work better in low light conditions especially on overcast days just before sunrise.

Really a matter of personal choice to leave it as is or to add a few personal touches. When my dad gave me his old buick station wagon I added a few things of my own. How is the trigger? I'm sure Timney probably makes on for it, is the original a heavy two stage? I don't know what bullet the old ball ammo was but it was probably upwards of 170gr or so and the rifle may not accurately shoot 150's but now that heavier bullets are in fashion again there should be plenty of selections out there.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have a gunsmith who is knowledgable on these old actions take a look at it and give it the once over including taking the bolt apart and see if the spring and firing pin are gunked up.

Those early military rifles were suprisingly accurate for a reason. Who knows how many rounds it had through it before he aquired it. I think my dad bought his for $35. I don't think he'd mind it getting a little TLC like a nice traditional parkerizing or oil finish on the old stock and maybe a newer recoil pad.

• Like 2

Based on the action, especially the safety, that's a 1917 Eddystone Enfield, made in Eddystone, PA. Those are rarer than 1903s. I'd definitely keep it as is and cherish the memories. I'm full out with Edge on this one. That's a classic. Sgt Alvin York carried an Edfystone in WWI when he earned his MOH. Great piece of American history.

• Like 3