Hoss50

Hunting/skinning knife?

S35v or s90v for the steel. D2 is ok but you wont get as razor sharp as the other ones. There are a alot of custom knife makers out there. You can also get a factory made knife in those two steels. Btw those are the best steels out there right now and they are pricey.

I've used Buck knives for years. I always have to use a hand sharpener when skinning. I may get rid of therm and get some of the Benchmade Hunt series. Better steel that holds an edge a lot longer.

I have a benchmade gryptillian folder and it holds a decent edge but I can only get them just so sharp but that is due to my lack of skill.

Mine is made from a ball bearing steel with high carbon. I have done everything from skinning to camp duties, fuzz sticks and batoning and it still has a dang sharp edge on it. Wife has even used it around the house for dinner duties. I am waiting to see when it will need sharpened but shows no signs as of yet. If you are seriously looking I have a benchmark d2 bone collector knife that I only used once but would sell. It's a nice knife but I love my custom.

One of the most reliable custom knives I have. Still can't beat a Havalon for utility. But, I don't consider a Havalon worthy of being passed down either. Might be interested in a trade if this catches your eye.attachicon.gif20160618_143651.jpg

That knife is sweeet!

Great thread, i recently found a guy on facebook named Christopher Apodaca and wow does he makes some awesome knives. I have big hands and wanted a nice skinner and this is what he came up with for me. Super sharp, I'm definitely going to order another one and NO those are not my dirty hands.

post-8664-0-48719200-1466444993_thumb.jpeg

post-8664-0-86500800-1466444998_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Dawson knives are out of prescott and i skinned two elk with out resharpening. But I carry havalon and leave it at home now

• Like 1

One of the most reliable custom knives I have. Still can't beat a Havalon for utility. But, I don't consider a Havalon worthy of being passed down either. Might be interested in a trade if this catches your eye.attachicon.gif20160618_143651.jpg

That knife is sweeet!

This is the Buck Akouna I mentioned in the PM. Might be a better fit for your hands.post-14463-0-41044300-1466470155_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That is a sexy knife. I am tempted but I am going to hold out, do some more research and pick out exactly what I think I want.

I like that akouna though. That is a sweet profile.

The Akouna is a workhorse. Buhlberg and I used it to split firewood onetime when we about froze our butts off fishing for cats at Bartlett. Back to shaving hair the next day after a few minutes on the stone.

Alaskans are D2 steel

They also make their knives with 30 v steel. I have the one listed below, it holds an a good edge and its shaving sharp. My other knife is a Buck 102, and I have no desire to get rid of it.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=6&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D8

Another plug for Barry Dawson's knives. I have a bunch of his knives and will probably buy more. I carry a havalon in my kit but I always carry a fixed blade sheath knife too. Great knives, great service and great people.