So I'm about to pull the trigger on the Nightforce shv F1 4-14x50 with the MOAR but before I do I would love to hear from anyone who has used this reticle/scope. Also would like to know what base and rings to get for the setup. I want quality over anything. Don't want to be dealing with any problems later. Scope will be on a Tikka TX3 lite in 7mm-08.Thanks in advance.

That's a really big scope for a light rifle.

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the Nightforce shv F1 4-14x50 with the MOAR but before I do I would love to hear from anyone who has used this reticle/scope. Also would like to know what base and rings to get for the setup. I want quality over anything. Don't want to be dealing with any problems later. Scope will be on a Tikka TX3 lite in 7mm-08.Thanks in advance.

So what would you recommend instead for a good first focal plane scope.

Want light weight with perfect tracking and great clarity look at the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP MOA.

Only scope i use for hunting long range.

• Like 2

I agree with that scope being fairly heavy. Even though all of my scopes are chunky, all over 30 oz. If you are going to put that heavy of a scope on, might as well go for a 4-20, 5-20, 5-25x range. Several quality glass that are in the $1000-1300 range that weigh between 30-35 oz.

I hate to say this, but a light weight FFP scope of any quality is hard to find. I was in the same boat as you for quite a while.

Really only a couple options. Either just so-so glass, limited features, or high prices. I have heard good about the Sightron.

March 3-24x42 @ 22.5oz $2100-2700

March 3-24x52 @ 23.5oz $2700-3000

Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 @ 23.6oz $2200-4400

Sightron 6-24x50 @ 24.3oz $1000

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 @ 22.4oz $900

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 @ 23.4oz $950

Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 @ 21.4oz $850

Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 @ 22.4oz $900

• Like 1

If go with some second focal plane, lighter.

Kinda like towing a cigar boat with a Tacoma.

On that rifle, basically a 700 yard cartridge, I'd go with a SWFA 3-9 or a NF NSX compact 2-10x32 or x42...

• Like 1

If go with some second focal plane, lighter.

Kinda like towing a cigar boat with a Tacoma.

I saw that guy on the Bee Line about a year or so ago, seriously though he had a $100K boat on a triple axle trailer. My son and I had a good laugh.

Don't ever hesitate with going with a nightforce product!!! I run Nightforce NSx's on my 7mm Rem Mag and custom 338 Lapua. Some will claim others are superior however when it come to durability and most importantly TRACKING of turrets a Nightforce is really hard to beat!! Only other Scope I would choose over a Nightforce is Schmidt and Bender........ However the cost does not outweigh the advantage. Get it you won't regret it I promise!!!
What about Kahles? Hensoldt? Tangent Theta? Premier? Vortex Razor Gen II or AMG? Steiner M5Xi? US Optics? Leupold Mark 8?Just asking. Are these more $$ than the NXS? Yes. But performance-wise, all top tier optics. But similarly priced for most to the ATACR F1 or Beast.

Time tested, built like an absolute tank, arguably the best reticle on the market, fantastic glass, AMAZING TRACKING with the turrets,( which is often more important than anything in a tactical scope). And since the military trusts Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender to sit atop their sniper systems I just find them hard to argue against. Are there other great products out there?.......... Absolutely, but you know what you get with S and B and NF. PERIOD!!-- quality and durability !!

And to be frank......it also doesn't hurt that they just flat out look Bad A@$ sitting atop a slick long range rifle

• Like 1

I have a Leupold VX6 3-18 44. It is a really nice scope and I think it weighs right about 20 oz, so it is pretty light. I think I paid about $1,200. It has the fire dot reticle and I really like the elevation turret.

• Like 1

The VX6 is really nice!!! I personally prefer NF and S and B, however the sniper on the swat team I work for loves his VX6 and runs it in his .308 sniper system!!

• Like 1

I'm not a NF fan boy but I was impressed enough to save coins for 3 of them over the last 8 years, even selling my other glass to afford it along the way. Their durability is great and I have been very happy with the glass quality on the NXS models I have. I will pick up an ATACR soon and I don't think I will ever buy another LR rig scope. I'll just rotate the ones I have as new rifles come along. I feel like they are lifetime investments.

I may sound like a broken record but I cannot fathom the hunting scenario where FFP is needed. It sounds cool and looks cool at the range in front of friends but the utility just isn't there for me.

With modern flat trajectory cartridges a hold over or turret adjustment isn't required till your beyond 300 yards. A serious adjustment wont be needed till past 400 yds and you could arguably just hold high. The OP's 7/08 with a 200 yd zero is likely 18"-20" low at 400 or 4.5 - 5 MOA (even less with magnum cartridges). Yes, easily held over with a matching reticle but also easily spun on a turret if for some reason you were not a max zoom at 400 yds.

Beyond 400 yds I would argue that few are the guys who will be shooting at a tiny Coues deer and not cranking their scope to max zoom. Almost all SFP optic reticles are calibrated for max zoom thus negating any need for FFP.

Be honest with yourself about what you "need" and spend the money on features that will meet your objectives. My .02 would be those Zeiss HD5's will be hard to beat for your situation and their sale price. Good luck on your choice and post some pics when you get it set up and slinging lead.

• Like 1

This^^^^^. First focal plane is great if using mill-dots and ranging human targets with your reticle. However I found that I basically always use my turrets after gathering environmental data and figuring out my firing solution. When I'm shooting long range first I spin my turrets, next I find the target on my NSX at 5.5 power (lowest setting) then I use the power throw lever to increase the magnification till I'm happy with my sight picture. Because the eye-box is so fantastic on the NF I usually just max out the magnification.

Remember that the often overlooked and most important aspect of a tactical style optic is repeatability of the turrets!! Whatever you buy be sure to test your turrets with real life shooting!!!!!

Enjoy!!

• Like 1