Wife pulled her first coues rifle tag this year so I'm trying to put together decent set up for her. I'm looking for the best scope I can put on for under $1000.

We've never rifle hunted so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to scopes, rings and bases. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The scope will be going on a tikka 7mm-08.

Leupold vx3-i 30mm, zeiss hd5, sightron siii, not necessarily in that order.

• Like 1

Pretty good budget. You should be able to find a nice scope. Don't be afraid to buy used if companies offer lifetime transferable warranties.

• Like 2

SWFA 3-15x42....

Fixed it for you.

Also consider Vortex PST

Weaver Tactical

Burris XTR II (just a touch more than $1k)

• Like 1

You could get into a decent FFP for the $1000 budget. I found that I like the subtensions remaining the same across the entire magnification range esp when shooting the holdovers as opposed to dialing or doing the math on a SFP scope.

FFP Options

Burris XTR ($1100 on midway)

Vortex HSLR or PST

Nightforce SHV F1

I think another interesting SFP option that just hit the market is the Vortex Razor HD LH-- Their lightweight 3-15x42 weighs 16 oz and has two choices in reticle.

• Like 2

SWFA 3-15x42....

Fixed it for you.

Also consider Vortex PST

Weaver Tactical

Burris XTR II (just a touch more than $1k)

Have you spent a lot of time behind the 3-15 Lance?

Not the friendliest scope...

The 3-9 is waaaay friendlier and is plenty for sane coues ranges.

I really like the Sightron SIII on the two other Tikkas we own. Bigsupplyshop.com has the best pricing I've found. Clear glass and excellent tracking.

In your price range there are lots of great scopes out there. Cameraland has some great sales are are easy to deal with as well

Thanks for the purchase BTW. Jim

• Like 1

I have spent some time behind the 3-15 SWFA. And although it is a different animal, a lot of time behind the 5-20 SWFA. I do not think they are hard to get behind personally. I have been behind a few scopes that had a very critical eye box.

I think a 3-9 is a good scope for shots out to 800 easily, but a 15x would help refine holds at those distances too. With the same FOV and 3X low end, I would take the extra 6x on top all day long myself.

I think SWFA is often overlooked by those who are not in the know. Great glass for the prices, great products, tough, and great CS should you ever need it. The only downside to them is reticle choice and lack of a few nifty features like zero stop (which you can add with a shim kit for all models other than the 5-20), second rotation indicator, and locking turrets, even though mine has never inadvertently spun a knob in the field.