SwarovskiCoues

Lightweight quality tripods?

looking to get a smaller tripod for backpacking, i currently use a monfrotto carbon tripod but its bulky and a little heavy. been looking into outdoorsmans medium... any feedback? or any reccomendations .. thanks

I picked up a little slik tripod from Archery HQ a few years ago. The tripod complete with head and 2 plates was I think in the $100-120 range. It does well with 10x & 12x glass on it, but it's a little light weight for 15x minox or a spotter. It's very light weight and has rode for many miles on my pack.

My backpack set up is a Slik Pro EZ aluminum with the outdoorsman's head on it. Total weight is 2.5 pounds.

Vortex summit ssp is my backpacking tripod. Packs small, very sturdy for being so small, and weighs 2# or less, and I think I paid less then 100 bucks for it

I am an admitted tripod junky. I have have become addicted to buying, trying, and selling to find the perfect combo of lightweight, small collapsed length, and durability. I am constantly buying and selling them in my search but I have owned aluminum and carbon models from Vangaurd, Manfrotto, Slik, Promaster, and Sirui,

I primarily glass sitting down and my go to lightweight tripod is the Promaster XC525c. It is right at 2 lbs and collapses to under 16" but gets up to 59". I am right at 6ft tall and by the time I add a head and the Outdoorsman Bino Adapter I can easily glass standing up comfortably without straining.

My current favorite for a bigger pod is a Sirui N-2204X I picked up in a tiny camera shop on sale. 4 section carbon legs, weighing 3.25 lbs and a load rating of 33lbs for under $300.

Having said all that, I just saw that Slik released a new compact model that will compete with the Promaster 525. I believe it is called the Slik CF522. It would be worth a look!

I have never bit the bullet and threw down the cash for an Outdoorsman's but I am sure they are nice.

Cheap, Lightweight, Durable - Pick two cause that is all you get. I only buy these things on sale and it still hurts sometimes.

• Like 2

For those of you who have a promaster, how are they holding up? Buddy of mine has had one for 3 years and it has lost a few pieces along the way. Promaster is unresponsive when trying to order replacement parts.

My manfrotto 3001 is 12 years old and still good as new.

I have (2) promasters, a 325 and a 525. No issues with either. The included ball heads aren't anything to write home about, but the legs are great and I haven't had any issues. I have had the 325 for four years. I know a couple people who have been running one for longer than that without issues. Use them in the field year round for hunting and photography.

What pieces has he lost?

I am notoriously hard on gear but will admit that I tend to baby anything related to my optics.

Promaster 525C. Picked up 2 for $180 each @ Camera land on a black friday deal a few years ago. No issues with them. IMO, a good

2 way tripod head is more important than the legs. A smooth pan and tilt is where it's at.

Another decent tripod is the Slik pro II, it's light and if you put a good head on it, it will handle up to 15X56 well. No go for spotters.

Have had my promaster for over 5 years. Great shape for as much use it has. I haven't lost any pieces to it but I have kept an eye on things and tighten up things as needed. Just bought an extra one. I use the outdoorsmans pan head