Siwash

Question about flying with a rifle

I am going to Oregon for a quick salmon trip in a few weeks and a relative has asked me to bring them a rifle (they let me "have it" 15 years ago).

I'm flying Southwest and their rules state a "hard sided case that can be locked." I have an older plastic hard sided case that can be locked that I am hoping to use and leave in Oregon with the rifle. I'll probably fly with about 50 rounds of handloads for the gun too, Southwest says ammo can be stored with the rifle so long as it's secured in its own box/case.

Anyone having experience flying Southwest with a firearm? Are they sticklers on the integrity of the case or could they care less as long as it locks? My case isn't fancy and probably about 1/8" thick with egg crate padding. If I have to invest in a high dollar SKB or aluminum case I will, but if the airline isn't picky I am not worried about the old Remington 700 getting beat up in transit.

Thanks if anyone has experience or insight.

post-2628-0-66009200-1473531707_thumb.jpg

post-2628-0-84265300-1473531714_thumb.jpg

That one will work if it can be locked at the ends, if not; then get another one. Mine is a better quality and and it takes 3 padlocks.

Two lock areas but both are opposite the handle, not on the sides. Thanks for the input guys.

Has to be a TSA approved case. If you want my opinion, get the SKB. I know from experience that the useless deadbeat bunny hugger hippie's that work for the TSA will do their best to try to break it.

• Like 1

another option might be to mail it USPS to yourself at your relative's address. I did this when I went to AK. Check with the USPS/PO if the regs have changed.

"If you plan on hunting outside of your state, you may mail your certified firearm to yourself.

The package must be:

• Addressed to the owner.
  • Include the “in the care of” endorsement immediately preceding the name of whoever will hold your weapon until you arrive. For added security, you can add delivery confirmation.
  • Be opened by the rifle or shotgun owner only."
  • Like 1

I am not sure about the mail it to yourself option, be sure to double check and even print the actual postal reg and the ATF regs. I'm not sure of the laws in Arizona and Oregon.

I'd rather take it to a gun shop and have them ship it FFL to FFL, then you KNOW everything is legal and insured, it may cost a LITTLE more, but certainly worth it (to me). Also, In Oregon, you will be taking possession of a long gun without being a resident, so ship it to your relative in care of the gun shop. Actually, legally you can ship yourself to a gun shop, most will require a photo copy of driver's license, etc.

Also, Southwest may charge for over size luggage, extra luggage, etc, so, in the end, it may not be a lot more to send it dealer to dealer, you'll have to complete the 4473 to "transfer" your gun to yourself.

The case PROBABLY meets their requirements: I'd take it to the actual counter people and verify it (shipped a dog once and it was a NIGHTMARE trying to meet Delta's interpretation of their own policy!!) - get the name of the person you talk to, and , if possible, their supervisor's name also. Otherwise you show up and person "A" says OK, but person "B" says no, it must be blah blah blah. again, had that issue with Delta.

You don't have to 4473 a rifle to yourself if you already own it. Lots of people ship rifles to themselves for an out of state hunt.

Ship it. Or fly with that case. I've flown with much crappier ones and they didn't say anything as long as it's got s TSA lock on it they didn't care.

Gun cases cannot, and should not, have a TSA lock on them. Doing so is a direct violation of federal law, and is plain stupid. You are required by law to be the only person able to access the contents of said case. Should it fail the wipe test(clean your case) you will be required to open it once a TSA supervisor shows up. If you hand them the key or tell them the code, you have just violated federal law.

If the case you have, while locked, can be unlatched and opened far enough to remove the firearm, then it is insufficient. The ability to withstand prying is a personal preference and has no such mandate from federal regulations.

I've flown with a firearm on SWA 50-100 times. Less on other carriers. I fly with a pelican. And yes, they are worth it.

As for shipping, you are legally allowed to ship yourself a firearm, as indicated earlier. The only possible issues would be on the state/local side. You would need to be able to legally possess said firearm(s) in both places. This also applies to flying(don't take possession of an AR or hi-cap glock if your plane gets diverted to somewhere like JFK or La Guardia).

If your not comfortable flying, ship it to yourself. I'd fly with it though, but then again, anywhere I fly, I fly with firearms(always put my valuables in the pelican and then toss in a pot metal pistol just so I can keep TSA hands out of my goods).

• Like 1

I flew SW to Long Island a couple of months ago with a borrowed case (Thank you Metu) and it was pretty simple. Go check in at the baggage counter. Let them know you have a firearm and they will tell you which line to get on, once you check in and they take you regular bags they will direct you to go a TSA checkin counter about 50 feet away.

There the TSA person will swab down the outside of the case. Once done you fill out a quick piece of paper then open the case just enough to slide it inside and you are done. TSA will then take the case and you will be on your way. The whole thing took less that 15 minutes.

Once you get to your destination you will probably need to go to baggage claim to pick it up or a baggage handler will bring it out to you as it didn't come up on the turnstile with the other bags.

Thanks FirstCoues and Metau for the offer. I borrowed a Pelican 1750 from a friend I hunt with.