Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Post Kill Traditions

One year my hunting partner killed a buck about 3 days into the hunt and we grilled the back straps in camp that night. They were tasty, buy horribly chewy.

Most people over cook the backstrap (or any piece of meet), which makes it chewy. It's completely safe to eat a rare cooked piece of meat, off a freshly killed deer or elk (if handled correctly). I always try to seek a nice sear on the outside with nice grille marks, with a 1" rare center. No one will ever call these backstraps chewy. But they may call for more. Lol.

p1417230835_zpslvgudip0.jpg

that's how I like mine, slightly browned and warm in the middle.
  • Like 1

#1. Thank the animal.

#2. Pour up some Gentleman Jack back at camp!

• Like 1

I like to give thanks to the Almighty and take some decent pics if possible. My cousin does the sprig of something in its mouth, which is kind of cool. Celebration is to be had back at camp once the work is done. Oh I almost forgot...a big pinch of Copenhagen between the ol cheek and gums feels dang good while doing field dress chores.

• Like 4

Most elk hunts we go to Bun Huggers in Flagstaff to celebrate the success of the hunt.

Man. Flashback. 25+ years ago. My buddies and I spent so much time in that bar while attending NAU. Way too convenient. Easy to skip class! :)

No traditions. Some hand shakes, pictures and then knives come out.

On our Turkey hunts we bring a 6 pack of IBC cream soda and crack one open on the first bird down!

• Like 1

Working on the killing part with big game but small game has come easy. No rituals other than lump in throat and swollen eyes, pure frustration.

• Like 1

Working on the killing part with big game but small game has come easy. No rituals other than lump in throat and swollen eyes, pure frustration.

I hope I experienced this when I finally wack a toad.

I like to give thanks to the Almighty and take some decent pics if possible. My cousin does the sprig of something in its mouth, which is kind of cool. Celebration is to be had back at camp once the work is done. Oh I almost forgot...a big pinch of Copenhagen between the ol cheek and gums feels dang good while doing field dress chores.

Dip of Copenhagen is a given! Don't leave home without it!

I;m about to go to Israel for a month. Wonder what TSA will think of the 3 rolls of Cope in my bag?

• Like 3

I;m about to go to Israel for a month. Wonder what TSA will think of the 3 rolls of Cope in my bag?

I've never had a problem with my worm dirt. 6 wax wrapped blocks of 3 year cave aged cheddar from the 1000 islands in my carry on got me strip searched flying out of Syracuse one time.

• Like 2

I've never had a problem with my worm dirt. 6 wax wrapped blocks of 3 year cave aged cheddar from the 1000 islands in my carry on got me strip searched flying out of Syracuse one time.

Copenhagen made it through no problem. Thank God! You would have seen me on the news if it was confiscated! Israel and quitting dipping wouldn't go together!

• Like 1

When I hunted in Europe, gamekeepers performed a "last bite" ritual they said honored the animal, the hunter and the landowner/wildlife manager. They would dip two small leafy twigs in a stag's or boar's blood and carefully place one twig in the animal's mouth. The other twig was placed on a knife blade and offered to me while saying, "Weidmann's heil." I had been told to respond by placing the twig in my hatband and saying, "Weidmann's dank." Loosely translated this is German for hail to the hunter and the hunter thanks you. As far as I know, the same words are used in the same ritual all across Europe, no matter the local language.

Bill

Me and my buddies do the weedman dank tradition as well.

• Like 3

I pray...... that I can haul that animal out of the backcountry, without throwing out my bad back.

I always pay silent respect to the animal.

you need a short guy who looks chubby but really isn't (but kinda is) that can pack anything out and doesn't quit. My short guy is 5'6"ish, maybe 180 and is a F-ing pack mule!!!! Cheaper than a mule. Pay his food and reload for him and he works like a Swiss watch! Pushes me to a heart attack constantly but gets the job done. I'd sell you mine but that's been outlawed for awhile now. He forced me to drag my deer out last year, up hill in the snow both ways. Well maybe not forced but short Irish dudes get mad so I huffed and puffed and carried my coues out. I've already paid his retainer for this year.
  • Like 2