capoeirajosh

Using a bow during the general season

Anyone ever do this? I drew an Oct coues tag in 6a and really want to use my bow, but am wondering if I am just crazy for thinking so, haha. I know the area well and feel very confident hunting it with a rifle, but would way rather kill a buck with a bow. I know my chances are way slimmer with the bow. If I do decide to use my rifle, I was just gonna hold out for a nice solid buck. Your thoughts?

Never understood why one would do this. Let a rifle hunter have the tag and hunt in december/January with a bow. But that'd just my take.

• Like 4

Go for it. Hunt how you want to. Just me, but my experience was more rewarding with a bow than 500 yards with a rifle. Maybe have someone carry the rifle for you and if the stalk fails you can fall back on the rifle. GL

I don't think 6A is open in Dec or Jan use your tag how you want.

• Like 2

Do what you want, just don't use a rifle during archery season. I know more than a few guys that put in for rifle hunts and take their bow first. Also know a few handicap guys that use cross bows in archers and rifle season. Your tag man, use it how you want.

Not sure up your way but if there's an area like a preserve or something that's archery only year round then it might be worth doing. The bucks that live there won't be spooked and there's a chance the increased activity might push other deer into that area. San Pedro river in 35a would be a good example of this.

Have fun and do it your way but I would have the rifle as well other wise you will see the biggest of your life and it may get away

Thanks for the advice guys. I hear ya about seeing the biggest buck of my life and it getting away, hahaha. Sounds about right. It would be nice to archery hunt these deer a bit while they are hard horned. 6a only has the velvet season. I will admit, that a concern of mine is stalking in close on deer when other guys are toting rifles around and shooting from long distances. Maybe, I am over thinking it.

I never did it, but thought about it just to get some more time in the field. If you want to kill one with your bow, go for it. Its your tag, use it anyway you want. Might consider wearing some orange though...

• Like 1

Never understood why one would do this.

Because Cameron Hanes is really popular on social media and some other popular hunters on Instagram also do this. I think you can get more "likes" on your pics if you use a bow or something like that

• Like 3

Because Cameron Hanes is really popular on social media and some other popular hunters on Instagram also do this. I think you can get more "likes" on your pics if you use a bow or something like that

😂😂😂😂

You are 100% correct.

Screw it, go run the 200 mile race if one REALLY wanted to be like CH.

You are 100% correct.

Screw it, go run the 200 mile race if one REALLY wanted to be like CH.

OR, here's a thought......Maybe, I just like bowhunting. I usually put in for this general tag every year out of tradition with my family. It gives me a chance to get out and hunt with my dad and brother together. My dad is a rifleman and I love to bowhunt. I'm not closed off to rifle hunting at all. Going on a rifle bear hunt here shortly. I merely prefer one over the other. I just had the thought of toting my bow instead of my rifle. It has nothing to do with Cameron Hanes or getting likes on Instagram.

• Like 5