bigj23

Finally Got a Bull Down!

I have always loved being up north and my wife made the life long mistake of buying me a bow about seven years ago. After putting in for a few years I was lucky enough to draw an early archery bull tag but little did I realize that I knew nothing about hunting, especially elk hunting. When I got to camp one of the guys (Shrek) I had fished in a company tournament with in the past offered to take me out since he knew the area. After three days with him I got a crash course on elk hunting after he called in multiple bulls and put me on elk every day. He told me what calls to buy and gave me the short version on how to use them. After a trip down to Phoenix to buy some calls I ended up having a great hunt. I ended up getting a shot and missing, but after 13 days I came home empty handed. After not putting in any work towards this hunt I realized what a gift an early archery tag with the opportunity to be up north listening to the screaming bulls.

The last four years I have spent over a week up north each season helping people on their hunts and practiced calling constantly as the seasons approached. I have watched the way Shrek calls and how aggressively he hunts, along with watching every video possible on YouTube that involves archery elk hunting.

This year I was lucky enough to draw a early archery bull tag with Shrek and made sure we put in some work. I knew I was in the right area thanks to Shrek, and we spent multiple weekends up north looking at new areas and checking cameras. As the season grew close we started seeing bulls on camera and things were looking good. I planned 17 days up north for the hunt and did not plan on coming home until Shrek and I were tagged out. A big thank you to my wife for letting me stay this long!

On the first day of the hunt we went out alone and I passed on a small 6x6 at 25 yards. It was an awesome experience to call him in that close but I wanted to spend the first week looking for a good bull. I caught a lot of crap for not shooting him but I was happy to still be hunting. The next evening and following morning were slow, but Saturday night the bulls started screaming at 5:00. After chasing bulls for almost two hours and a couple close calls I came back to camp with a good story.

Sunday morning Shrek and I went out together and we instantly heard a bull screaming in an area they rut every year. We made our way down to the small meadow and there was a bull screaming all by himself. Shrek looked at him through the binoculars and told me it was a good bull. He put me on the tree line and after some raking and bugling the bull came in screaming to 40 yards. I allowed the bull to get where he was quartering away slightly and he stopped on his own. I let the arrow fly and it sounded like a hit. The bull ran away so fast I could not see where the arrow hit but Shrek said it sounded like a hit. After checking the meadow for blood we were not able to find any or my arrow. I saw a tan spot on the side of a hill and after a look through binoculars Shrek said it was not him. We made a second pass through the meadow and as Shrek walked up a little higher he screamed it was him as we went running to the bull. We ended up finding my arrow a short distance before he dropped and that is when the blood started.

With some high fives along the way we got to the bull and I was more than happy. I had broke my wife down and she told me before the hunt I could hang a bull in the house if it was a good one. Well, this one was going in the pool table room for sure. After some pictures I told Shrek I wanted to go back to camp and get my dad. My dad had been on Javelina and deer hunts with me but he had never seen me kill anything. When I ran back into camp, which was .6 miles from my bull, my dad was recovering from way too much alcohol the night before. He was sitting outside in his boxers watching TV while drinking his coffee. I walked into camp and told him to get some shorts on because I got a bull down. After a few "whatevers" and a "get out of here," my dad realized I was serious since I was not holding a bow and did not have my backpack. As we got to the bull it was awesome to see my dad's face and take some good pictures with him. My dad is my best friend and it was awesome to have him there. I tried to put in plenty of time up north over the summer and it really paid off.

After a ton of pictures we got him all loaded up and took the ride to the processor. The shot was through the heart and that explained why he did not make it too far. Shrek told me to enjoy the ride as everyone is always looking when a bull passes in the back of a vehicle. We ended up getting some breakfast and back to camp in time to go hunting.

Another great memory was my family coming up for a few days and Shrek let me bring my 7 year old son out hunting with us for three days. My son did really good and he had not problem hiking the canyons. I wish he was there to see my bull but I took him over to see my bull after the hunt.

After another week and half of hunting Shrek killed a bull on Wednesday and it was awesome to be there with him. It was an up and down 12 hours not finding his bull till the next day but a life long memory when we found the bull. Not likely someone finds a bull he hit from two days prior still alive, but we managed it along with some bears and a bee hive. It was just the two of us and we hustled the bull to the processor. We came back to camp and headed home Wednesday night.

I don't know that I can ever thank Shrek enough for taking me under his wing and teaching me everything I know (which still really isn't much) about hunting. Over the last four years I have hunted with the Shrek and he has became a life long friend. He has taken me to many of his areas and helped me kill four Javelina along with a nice Coues. It seems like we always balance each other out on our hunting thoughts. I hope we hunt together for many years to come as our kids begin to hunt. He has became a great friend and I look forward to all of our hunts. Thanks Shrek!

post-10284-0-17495100-1476328923_thumb.jpg

post-10284-0-81054100-1476385792_thumb.jpg

• Like 27

Nice bull man! Sounds like you got yourself a good hunting partner & friend in Shrek.

Congrats!

Congrats on a great bull. Great story. Sounds like you found a great hunting partner as well.

Thats one nice bull

Congratulations again on a dang nice bull buddy. Shrek is one good friend to have and I really enjoyed spending time with you both this summer as well as keeping each other updated on the hunt. Way to go all the way around!!!