Cell4soul

Lightweight Build

Similar build I am working on.

I like the idea of a Proof barrel, but you could save $300 and get a fluted #3 Bartlein @ 22".

McMillan Edge or Manner Elite Hunter series stock. There are a few other high quality lightweight stock makers out there too.

Timney trigger (I have 5, 2 of the CE @ 8 Oz, 3 of the 210 @ 1.3-1.8#)

The fluted bolt will look cool, and save an Oz or 2.

Scope choice is solid for lightweight. Not positive on glass quality yet, as I haven't looked through one yet.

That laminate stock has to be fairly heavy.

Alloy base and rings.

If you go with a light taper barrel, look at the APA Micro Bastard brake. I have one on my 7RM w. #3 fluted Bartlein, and it is turned down to barrel contour, and work amazingly well. My 14 year old just used it to take a cow elk on Saturday morning. Pushes a 180 Berger Hybrid @ 3000fps and kicks like my .25-06AI in a 10# rifle.

I will probably be chambering in 7RSAUM too, for the 168 HVLD. Not sure of the box mag length of the Model 7, but in a R700 SA, they should fit fine.

I've definitely considered a #3 fluted barrel but something keeps bringing me back to the Proof Barrel. The Timney Calvin Elite was my other consideration for triggers. I am pretty sure the rifle will end up with McMillan stock, but I will probably start with the laminate stock so I can shoot it and do load development while waiting for the McMillan to be built. So many dang choices. Ultimately I want the rifle finished with scope at 7.5 lbs.

Are you planning on 22 or 24" barrel for your build?

22" for me. It will be used by my daughters to hunt with as well, and they are both fairly petite. A medium range build. Out to 600-700 or so. Light guns are not nearly as easy to shoot well.

• Like 1

You might consider removing the recoil pad on the stock and boring out the butt, and removing some wood from the inside the barrel channel. Flute the barrel.

I have a Boyds laminate, and drilled two holes in the butt stock using a 5/8 inch diameter drill bit, it now weighs about the same as a synthetic stock with full alum bedding block , it made a noticeable difference.

You might consider removing the recoil pad on the stock and boring out the butt, and removing some wood from the inside the barrel channel. Flute the barrel.

I have a Boyds laminate, and drilled two holes in the butt stock using a 5/8 inch diameter drill bit, it now weighs about the same as a synthetic stock with full alum bedding block , it made a noticeable difference.

Awesome! I appreciate the info as I am planning on doing something similar.

I've been really wanting to start the build. I may just have to order the barrel and reamer on a credit card to scratch the build itch now.

I will probably be ordering a barrel in the next few weeks. Definitely going with a 7mm. I am leaning towards the 7mm SAUM, but now also considering the 7mm Sherman Shoert Mag. I have 500+ .300 SAUM brass to work with, which can be used for either round. The 7mm Sherman Short Mag requires fire forming, but looks like it has a slightly shorter overall length (better for seating ballets longer on my Model 7 action) and will push bullets a little faster.

Any thoughts on the 7mm Sherman Short Mag? Anyone have any experience with it?

Awesome weight loss. A friend dropped 54-57 pounds of fat, and reports easier hiking and hunting.

His rifle is 10 plus pounds, and recently he carried 70 pounds down a mountain trail for one night. In that case, we did not stay.

The easier to glass terrain was much further than I recalled, so we hiked up and out, and he felt it. Connected later that day, btw, in a more traveled place. He was wiped. I hiked and worked out every day since. Difference partially lay in pack weight.

Obviously he has to make cuts. My big DANA Design pack was under 30 lbs, and I have cut of all manners of needless straps, fanny pack options for the brain top, etc... I like to hunt the more wilder sides of AZ with a bow. Every ounce adds up about a half mile in, certainly.

He is thinking a lighter rifle. But getting under 7 pounds with scope and sling will be tough. Also, eliminating excessive gear weight is genuinely worthwhile. I carry a used REI down jacket, and my main pack is 2.5 pounds, an Osprey. All the packs at sportsmans and Cabelos are too heavy. Backpacking gear can be used.

Somewhere between lighter gear and a little less rifle weight is the happy spot for wilderness treks.

Let us know what you do.

Pulled the trigger on a new build. Was supposed to be a lightweight build but ended up being a twin to my stw... can't wait to see some of your guys builds

You are not going to change the weight of the gun so much as too make it a hard kicker or less accurate? Easier to build your muscles and endurance than gain much on the rifle. Accuracy and shootability is the important aspect of your rifle.

All good advice. My goal is to lighten everything up. The rifle is just one piece of the equation. I was on a diet and exercise program before this years hunts. I dropped 20 lbs before my hunts. I have another 25 lbs of my own weight to lose before next year. I have a goal to lighten every thing up before next season.

I bit the bullet and purchased a Proof Research Barrel. I went with a 24" Sendero Light in 7 mm with a 1:9 twist. I am going to go with a 7 SAUM. I plan to shoot either the Berger 168 VLD Hunting or the Hornady 162 ELDX. I will be purchasing the reamer and dies by next week.

Barrel arrived today. Second barrel is for a 6.5x284 build my buddy is doing. I am going to chamber for 7 SAUM. I'll be ordering the reamer and a Timney Calvin Elite Trigger after I get paid on Friday.

I still need to pick a muzzle brake. I think I am gonna go with a side ported brake so dirt doesn't fly up on prone shots. Any suggestions on a good side ported brake?

post-13685-0-26276200-1480987033_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-11830900-1480987048_thumb.jpg

Badger Thruster on a Sendero contour

040_zpsvl6d2o8e.jpg

Badger Thruster on a Rem Varmint contour

20151009_124340_001_zpsvaw6usqd.jpg

APA Micro Bastard on a #3 contour (you can get the Little Bastard for a Sendero contour)

DSC_0121_zpsscl2admw.jpg