MULEPACKHUNTER

Careful what you wish for

Special thanks to Kelly for having me along on a monster adventure. I thought I was a backcountry guy and in good shape! This guy showed me what humans and mules can do if they are off their rocker! Homework done, scouting complete, thanksgiving with family, Kelly made the 3 mile trek into one heck of a hole not accessible by road or trail of any kind. Finding the elk for the second day in a row he waited 3 hours for the best of the bunch to make a mistake. After touching off a 300 yard one shot kill the work really began. Solo butchering to the point of exhaustion it was time to make the straight up hike back to the truck. After a rough nights sleep we made our way with the mules to get the trailer to a decent launch point. 3 hours of off trail steep rocky nasty thick mountain travel had us perched on a 45 degree hillside trying to unwedge a large bull elk out from under a log. The meat was cold and no critters had messed with it. Even with two guys it took an hour to get the antlers out from under that log, we cleaned up any residual meat from the carcass and loaded the animals to the max. It was so thick Kelly had to carry the rack on his back while I tried to string three mules off the ledge down to better ground. We spent as much time on foot through really rough steep patches as we did in the saddle. 4 hours, 1 wreck, and 200 cuts and scrapes later it was dark, snowing, and we were a mile from the truck. Usually it's a bummer to see the truck after a ride but this time we were smiling and couldn't get the heater on fast enough. A beautiful snowy night and elk blackstrap breakfast later the adventure was over. Now I need volunteers to help unpack a mountain of gear??? Here's to new country, new friends, new knowledge, and making it back to our families safe and warm. Did I mention warm?

post-10379-0-02112200-1480442631_thumb.jpeg

post-10379-0-90984600-1480442682_thumb.jpeg

post-10379-0-48461500-1480442740_thumb.jpeg

post-10379-0-77168900-1480442791_thumb.jpeg

post-10379-0-71955000-1480442841_thumb.jpeg

post-10379-0-72848700-1480442911_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

That is awesome. I can imagine that you will never forget that hunt. Those are the best ones after it is all over and you have recovered.

The ones that cause the most grief are the best ones! Neat bull too.