Sign in to follow this  
creed

torn rotator cuff

Physical therapy isn't working so great. Just curious as to how surgery has worked for guys that have had it. It is getting to the point that may be my only option.

I have had 2 surgeries my left shoulder and one my right. All were successful and I have great range of motion. They are painful surgeries and rehab is lengthy. I only needed the second one because I fell and attempted to catch myself. So I have 4 anchors in my right shoulder and 6 and a chunk of a dead guy in my left.

A friend got it done, and said his shoulder was better than it had ever been. He wished he had done it sooner.

His doc was:

Angelo Mattalino MD-Southwest Sports Medicine

• 6097 N Paradise View Dr, Paradise Valley, AZ 85253Cross Streets: Between E Paradise View Dr and N 38th Pl
  • (480) 763-5950
  • mattalinoorthopaedics.com
  • Like 1

Do it. It doesn't get better on its own. The PT afterwards was the most painful I've ever had (and I've had three spinal fusions) but, 6-8 months later you are healed. Rotator Cuff recovery is a long haul. My surgeon was Dr. Michael Brennan in Phoenix. His office does the ortho for the Diamondbacks. I figured he's seen a lot of shoulders and elbows.

Same doctor as Chris and I had my rotator, labrum and bone spur done in June 2016. Back to work light duty in 3 weeks and full duty 2 weeks after that. I didn't think it was that bad but the doctor sent out one of those shoulder icing machines and I used it extensively for 10 days straight. Rehab wasn't too bad.

well...right now I'm three weeks into it. tore my bicep & almost a complete tear of the rotator cuff. so far the frustrating part is wearing this sling 24/7 & sleeping. will start PT in a few weeks. I'm hoping to be ready for archery deer in august! good luck my friend.

Well the upside is you can get a crossbow permit if you want to. Just do it before the surgery. Hope it gets better for you.

LOL.. Actually, that crossbow permit is not a bad idea! You'll certainly improve your odds over shooting with the shoulder as it is.

My dad got the Dr to signoff for the crossbow, then changed his mind because he wanted a bow kill.

He got a shot at a 6x6, the arrow didn't penetrate as he had the weight dropped way down, so he could draw it easily. DAM.

well...right now I'm three weeks into it. tore my bicep & almost a complete tear of the rotator cuff. so far the frustrating part is wearing this sling 24/7 & sleeping. will start PT in a few weeks. I'm hoping to be ready for archery deer in august! good luck my friend.

As long as you don't do anything dumb you should be gtg.

bowhnt:

Call me (up to 10-10:30ish is okay)! I'm in Gilbert and have something you might find useful ... (480)760-3868 --- Tom

Torn left rotator cuff (plus full shoulder separation, broken bones, etc...) 4 years ago. Doug Freedberg with Arizona Sports Medicine did the surgery, and did an outstanding job, IMO. As mentioned the post surgery PT sucked big time! First 3-4 weeks post-op were rough, but after that the PT started to get better as I healed-up. 8 weeks post-op I was feeling good. 3-4 months post-op I was back to normal. Tough deal, but all back to normal now.

I would recommend Freedberg.

Good luck!!!

S.

Man this topic makes me wonder why my back doesn't hurt and my should does know?

Any pain or issue isn't fun and degrades enjoyment of fun activities.