Sign in to follow this  
Freakycamo

bullet for a 243

Need some help with choosing the best possible bullet for a 243 on a rifle that I am building for my wife? Old Ruger mark II .243, tang safety, original stock. Viper 6-24X50 HS scope. (Sons old gun and an extra scope that I had). Currently I have been shooting 95 gr silver tip out of it and I am getting 1-1/2 at 100 yards. This is a great start. I think I can do better if I hand load for it. I would like to get the heaviest built possible for it. Shooting 400 yards max? I know that I still need to supply more information like length of barrel and twist. Any pet load information would be appreciated.

Thank you

That rifle probably has a 10 twist barrel but possibly even slower. Like mentioned above, twist will dictate what bullet you will be able to run. For 400 yards the Sierra 100gr Game King is tough to beat. If that one don't shoot well you may need to step down to the 85gr weight class. The 87gr Berger would be a good choice.

• Like 3

Killed a bunch of muley and coues with 100gr Nosler Partition and 36gr of IMR3031. Ruger 77 all weather

• Like 1

1:9 you should be able to run a 100gr and even the 105 Amax just fine.

• Like 1

I have the same rifle and shoot Hornady 95gr sst usually at (or better) about .75 moa with little load development behind it. I'm using IMR 4831, seating the bullet .020 off the lands. I'll have to post back on the charge weight. My dad shot a coues at 480 and the bullet performed great.

• Like 1

My daughters shoots factory 80grn GMX's at just over 3400fps right at moa.

The rifle prefers 95grn SST's accuracy wise. Yet to take anything with that rifle or ammo.

Thanks for all the information, it looks like we are going to start with the Hornady A-MAX 105. Does anyone have any load data for A-MAX 105? For some reason I can’t find any load data on the Hornady website for the A-MAX 105. I don’t want to buy the book. For burger all I have to do is e-mail them and they send it back to you the same day. Also thinking of using IMR 4350. From what I have been reading online you want a slower burning powder for the heavier bullets. Do you all agree?

On the lighter side I think that it would be fun to develop a light load 60-70gr bullet. Smoken fast.

Again Thanks for all the input.

Surprisingly enough H-1000 works really well with the 105 class bullets. 46.0 grains seems to be the magic number that has worked for me in a couple different .243's

• Like 1

Mulepackhunter loaded me some 70gr Sierra hpbt for the model 88 with 1 in 10 twist. Shoots 1/2" moa at 150 yards. Not bad for a 60 year old rifle that's had thousands of rounds down the tube.