Big Browns

Found Old Plane Crash

My wife and I found an old plane crash yesterday while doing some hiking. There wasn't much left of the plane, but it appears to be a really old crash. I wasn't able to figure out they type of airplane, but it did have a radial engine. It's possibly and old military aircraft. My guess is it's been there for 30+ years.

Anyone else find old plane crashes while out hunting?

post-1205-0-25810100-1489428980_thumb.png

post-1205-0-34355100-1489429003_thumb.png

post-1205-0-98117800-1489429027_thumb.png

post-1205-0-01650800-1489429049_thumb.png

• Like 22

No. You could tell a large section of the plane burned up. I highly doubt anyone survived the crash due to severity of damage. It was definitely a long time ago, because none of the vegetation near the crash showed any signs of fire.

Ran into several of those in the Santa Ritas a few years back, they had been salvaged and it appeared that they had been there for awhile, maybe drug runners whose elevation knowledge was a tad off?

• Like 1

Cool find. I'm surprised there's that much left after so long. People scrap those out usually. Keep quiet as to where it is. If you go back, really look at the engine. It might have some manufacturers casting or labels somewhere. From there you can check to see what kind of plane it was. It may be a prat and whitney since it's two rows and a 18 cylinder. There were a few planes using that engine.

I know where there's one out around the superstition. My buddy that I hiked to it with did some research and turned up that it was an old airforce training plane. I don't recall if the pilot made it out or not though.

I heard of WWII planes that crashed on Montana Mnt, near Superior.

Chances are the wreck you found is much older than 30 years if was a military plane. There are many crash sites in Arizona's back country, especially in the Rincons and Galliuros. Tucson's Davis Monthan Air Force Base was a flight training site beginning even before WWII, and more than a few pilots-in-training crashed and died.

My father-in-law and I found a crash site on China Peak in the Galliuros in the late 1950s and reported it when we returned to Tucson. We were told that particular site was known, but that we should report any others we might find because there still were wrecks that hadn't been found.

Bill Quimby

I found one south of Flagstaff area. North of Kelly Canyon Rd. To the east of I-17. A small Cessna type plane. Saw the two wings first, severe damage from tree impacts that steered them off. Found the fuselage about 150' further on the path. Pretty old. Reported it to Coconino Sherriff's Office with coordinates. Unfortunately, it was just me and my dogs, and no camera. Before I had a smart phone, maybe 10 years ago. It was an unreported site according to CCSO. No evidence of human remains that I could find. Long way from any dirt roads.

This is an interesting topic! Good find. There is one on the SW slope of the 4 Peaks that I have always wanted to check out. Its near the top of the peaks.