Apache7mm

San Carlos Lake

Standman wee those crappie from this year or last?

Standman wee those crappie from this year or last?

This week.

Brian

Hey dick! What breading did you use on those tasty lookin slabs?

dude, first i dipped the fillets in flour, then eggs, then flour again. worked out good. used a pan with vegetable oil.

• Like 1

dude, first i dipped the fillets in flour, then eggs, then flour again. worked out good. used a pan with vegetable oil.
Cant beat crappie
  • Like 2

I was expecting some sorta bad as$ beer batter with corn meal! But flour and egg works too. Looks good and made me wanna go fishing this weekend!
  • Like 1

I just cancelled my commitment to PBR on the 25th, and lined it up to hit the lake for the weekend. Standman, thanks for the heads up, any insight into how deep on the crappie? Minnows or jigs? Throw a guy a bone, I am jonesing for some fillets!!!!

I was expecting some sorta bad as$ beer batter with corn meal! But flour and egg works too. Looks good and made me wanna go fishing this weekend!
Mayo>cornmeal>deep fry

You'll thank me later

Are there any guides who fish San Carlos? I've never caught Crappie before and would like to get my son out there.

Are there any guides who fish San Carlos? I've never caught Crappie before and would like to get my son out there.

I dont know any guides who can guide there. I think they have to be native to guide on Rez. But I'm not positive on that.

Brian

• Like 1

Not sure if there are enough boats on the water but to find the crappie usually you just have to find the Floatzilla (a.k.a a large number of boats in a certain area) ...Rig up a roadrunner jig ( lots of colors on your plastic work) finish with a minnow on the hook and troll slow ... Vary your speed and depth (amount of line out) until you start hooking up... Land crappie and repeat from there.

• Like 3

Crappie fillets bagged and tagged!! 😊😊

Brian

post-102-0-69910300-1490202603_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Not sure if there are enough boats on the water but to find the crappie usually you just have to find the Floatzilla (a.k.a a large number of boats in a certain area) ...Rig up a roadrunner jig ( lots of colors on your plastic work) finish with a minnow on the hook and troll slow ... Vary your speed and depth (amount of line out) until you start hooking up... Land crappie and repeat from there.

Won't they be up shallow spawning right now or is that later?

Won't they be up shallow spawning right now or is that later?

Standman could most likely answer that question better, since it has been several years for me being on the lake.... but dozens of years fishing for slabs on that lake fishing March and April we almost always started in 15 - 20 feet of water in the mouths and centers of bigger coves .... but pretty much anytime after mid March you want to at least toss some jigs into the brush and stick ups in the shallows ... If they are spawning hard in the shallows you can usually tell just by watching for the brush and stickups for movement that is not wind or waves. If you go shallow and are pulling up only smaller males I would recommend moving a little deeper. Just sucks knowing I probably wont make it up there this year so hoping water levels next year this time are good. Will have to stick to some Saguaro Lake Crappie this spring.