Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Pop-Up camper pro's and con's

Now that taxes are done and the valley is heating up the opportunity to buy a camper and get out of here on the weekends is looking to be a real good option. I would like to get a pop-up camper since my new house has an RV gate with plenty of area to store it. I've never considered a full size trailer because I don't want to spend $50-75 a month on storage, or have to drive across town to pick it up. HOA won't allow anything taller than block wall.

I plan to use the camper with the wife and our two small boys in the summer. Then it will be used in fall for hunting by either myself, my cousin or good friend. I wouldn't mind letting them use it. The wife needs a potty so a cassette toilet is a must. The boys and I will go outside or in our diapers. I'll be pulling it with my Supercharged Tacoma for now, but if its too much trouble will trade up to a full sized truck.

Other than the time it takes to set-up what are the down sides? I won't be using it in the winter so don't mind that it is not greatly insulated.

Right now I'm looking at a Forest River Rockwood High Wall with slide out. New they are $20K so I'm hoping to find something used. I made the mistake of looking one over at San Tan Mall a couple weeks ago and now that is the least the wife will settle on.

Many claim pop-ups are just glorified tents. What are your experiences?

Loved my pop up. Wish I still had it. Be careful with the propane and make sure everything is "safe" and you should be fine. Get one with full size wheels and tires and you can take it anywhere. They setup as fast or faster than a tent.

The only "con" is there is not much storage, but that can be remedied.

Pros:

• Comfortable
  • easy to setup
  • easy to tow
  • can go places a larger trailer can't
  • lots of room to cram stuff in there for the drive.

Cons:

• Fragile (interior pieces break easily and stuff like stabilizers break off as well)
  • still like sleeping in a tent
  • hot/cold (although I use a heater buddy in cold weather even though it has a heater. Heater buddy is much quieter and doesn't drain the battery or use as much gas).
  • very little storage

If you think of it as a replacement to a tent, you'll love it. If you think of it as a replacement for a full size travel trailer, you'll be disappointed. It's all about perspective.

I keep trying to sell mine, but my wife won't let me. I love my Kodiak canvas tent.

• Like 3

kazpilot pretty well covered everything from my experience. Only other con some friends of mine discovered was that Yellowstone (some campgrounds...maybe not all) and some other areas don't allow pop-ups due to bears. I don't think they realized it beforr they got there and affected their plans. Just something to keep in mind.

• Like 2

Loved my pop up trailer! The biggest downside I had was fishing! So I went to a popup camper so I could pull the boat. Now I don't have a trailer or a camper, but still have the boat but quit fishing! Life goes on.

Pros:

Easy to tow. Helps on gas milage due to lower profile. Easy to set up.

Cons:

Look at the tires and suspension to get full size tires. Otherwise ground clearance will be an issue. If the lift system breaks while out you are screwed. Still has canvas likes a tent which can sun rot or mold if put away wet.

kazpilot pretty well covered everything from my experience. Only other con some friends of mine discovered was that Yellowstone (some campgrounds...maybe not all) and some other areas don't allow pop-ups due to bears. I don't think they realized it beforr they got there and affected their plans. Just something to keep in mind.

That is why RV Techs refer to pop ups as a "lunch box for a bear".

Hey give me a call. Dave 602-228-1719

You still don't answer my text from September Dave.

I'll call you in a few

There are some pretty decent pop ups for sale on craigslist for reasonable price. They are like anything else if you take care of them & maintain

them they will last. I picked up a used Jumping Jack for $1200 & love it!! I can have it set up & ready in 10 minutes. The Jumping Jack isn't like

a normal pop up. Its basically a canvas tent on a trailer, but it gets me up off the ground & I can haul my quad or ranger on top of it when its closed.

Not much to say that hasn't been said, especially the way kazpiolt25 put it. Most of the good ones have electronic winches for set up/take down, which makes things so much easier. We had a full-size trailer and rarely used it because my truck didn't tow it as well (more about my comfort than the truck) and the main bed was too short for me at 5'11". We switched to a lighter pop-up with big, comfy beds and haven't looked back.

Back in 2009, we bought a used 2007 Rockwood Freedom, complete with the ATV rack and beefed suspension. We absolutely love it for hunting and camping. Me, my wife, two kids, and two German shepherds sleep comfortably in it. No shower or cassette toilet, but that wasn't necessarily a priority. I've never used it in the bitter cold, but it heats up nicely with the furnace; however, it bleeds heat quickly. Rough roads have caused some things to jar loose, but most are easily fixable.

We're usually only ever in it to sleep and eat breakfast/dinner. I'd recommend a Honda generator to help power it. When its really cold, the battery isn't always enough to run the heater. Getting the Honda eu2000 generator was a great investment.

Pros:

• Comfortable
  • easy to setup
  • easy to tow
  • can go places a larger trailer can't
  • lots of room to cram stuff in there for the drive.

Cons:

• Fragile (interior pieces break easily and stuff like stabilizers break off as well)
  • still like sleeping in a tent
  • hot/cold (although I use a heater buddy in cold weather even though it has a heater. Heater buddy is much quieter and doesn't drain the battery or use as much gas).
  • very little storage

If you think of it as a replacement to a tent, you'll love it. If you think of it as a replacement for a full size travel trailer, you'll be disappointed. It's all about perspective.

I keep trying to sell mine, but my wife won't let me. I love my Kodiak canvas tent.

+1 on Krazypilot's summary of pros & cons.

I loved my pop-up when I had it.

That being said though, I found though that I really was just using it to cook in and sleep in. We spent all the rest of our time outside of the trailer! I found that there really wasn't much room in the pop-up, even though it was a 17' Coleman. Just seemed cramped most of the time (especially with sleeping stuff, duffel bags with clothes, etc...). Based on that, I went back to tent camping. I sold the used pop-up, and went directly to Cabela's and bought an Alaknak, cots, and good sleeping bags for myself and 3 kids.

S.

I've owned two. I bought a used one and a brand new one...

Pros:

-Easy to park, tow and store

-Cheaper than a travel trailer

Cons:

-Bigger pain in the butt to setup and take down

-Can't store belongings inside

-Hot as heck in the day, and freezing at night (huge temp swings with furnace)

-Break Easy

-Small

-If it's raining and you get stuck inside, there isn't much to do.

I didn't take me long to upgrade to a Travel Trailer. I couldn't go back to a popup but I have two small kids and a wife.

Just rent one. Waaaaay more cost effective when you need to use it by 10X$. Buy new, lots of depreciation.

• Like 4