Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Ultimate Coyote Gun

.300RUM pushing a 210 HVLD @ 3100fps.

2015-12-02%2020.37.57_zpsacblfdro.jpg

2015-12-03%2022.47.43_zpsgnyvogyt.jpg

In all seriousness, I usually use a few different rifles. specifically for coyotes, a .223 pushing 50 VMax @ 3300 or .25-06 AI pushing an 85 NBT Varmint @ 3800fps,. When out multi-hunting, a .260 Rem or 6.5 SLR pushing a 95 V-max @ 3450-3550fps.

• Like 1

I just saw information about for the first time about the 22 nosler. How long has that been out?

Pretty sure it came out at the Shot show.

24 Nosler coming soon too!

I had plans for a 22-243 build and had ordered a barrel from pac-nor but a few other priorities got the in way (Swaro 10x42 EL). There is plenty of load data around for that round and the various 22/6mm.

For availability of components I think 22-250AI is the all around best option and it can handle those long, heavy bullets.

BUT-- If you want a classic I think a .220 Swift in a old Ruger #1 or 77 would be pretty awesome! Heck you could AI the swift and probably get a little better barrel life, coupled with slower burning powders and bigger bullets... plus you get that "no one else has it" factor.

The Smith that built my rifle probably has built more 220 Swift Ai than any other caliber

• Like 1

For the predator hunting that I do, the chambering would secondary to the specs on the rifle. I find myself shooting at them in thick desert scrub at distances inside 150 or so yards most often. Once in a while a long shot offers itself, so I would want a rifle with that capability as well.

(I am an admitted bolt action slut, so I'm leaving the ARs out for this one.)

Something along the lines of a Remington model 7 or SA 700, 18.5" barrel for swinging on those coyotes that just "show up" 20 yards or so to your right or left.

Since I am going lightweight, A Mcmillan edge stock should only add 20 or so ounces to the build.

For me, the chambering would be .243 Win because I adore that particular cartridge, 1-8 twist to cover any and all of the 6mm bullets in my stash.

2-7 or 3-9 on the optics would afford the field of view on the low end and on the high end still allow me to extend the range on a coyote size target all in keeping with the lightweight theme of the project.

In my book, that is as close to an ideal coyote rig as I can dream up!

• Like 4

I'm a die hard 22-250 fan, only had one dog that I didn't recover in 30 years of calling. I have wanted to go to a 243 but haven't taken either the Vanguard Youth S2 or the Pre 64 Featherweight both in 243 out in the field.

My son has a 700 Youth in 243 and I have used it on Javelina and wanted to retire the 22-250 so I couldn't resist getting another one when Cabelas had the Savage Axis on sale for $259 in March. I replace the original trigger and put a 3x9 on it and this is the result with Federal Factory Ammo, 100gr for $17 a box.

Now I just need to find a lighter bullet or break out my old reloading stuff.

post-3883-0-39097300-1494368093_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm a die hard 22-250 fan, only had one dog that I didn't recover in 30 years of calling. I have wanted to go to a 243 but haven't taken either the Vanguard Youth S2 or the Pre 64 Featherweight both in 243 out in the field.

My son has a 700 Youth in 243 and I have used it on Javelina and wanted to retire the 22-250 so I couldn't resist getting another one when Cabelas had the Savage Axis on sale for $259 in March. I replace the original trigger and put a 3x9 on it and this is the result with Federal Factory Ammo, 100gr for $17 a box.

Dang that stupid flier

Dang that stupid flier

That was the first shot. The others were after I adjusted the scope.

• Like 1

My ultimate coyote gun would be a relatively simple, accurate, reliable and easy to point rifle. Oh and somewhat cheap. Perhaps a self built AR with a 16" or 18" barrel. Freefloated handguard and collapsible stock. Or a bolt action like a Ruger American, Savage AXIS or something like that. 3-9x40 for the scope and chambered in a common caliber of 223 or 243 or similar. I want to kill as many coyotes in a day as possible and be able to move often. No bull barrels. Done that before, never again. Each stand would be 15-20 minutes max unless hunting cats specifically other then that I want the gun to be quick handling so If I see animals in between stands, its easy in and out of the vehicle. Thinking of doing a Palmetto State Armory build but not sure yet.

• Like 2

I've always wanted a 22-250 AR as well. Seems like it would be perfect set up to me.

That sounds cool!!

I believe 22-250 has been tried on the AR platform but there was issues and I cant quite remember what it was. DPMS does some different caliber ARs. One in 243 would be fun.

I'll stick with my M77 .220swift I picked up in 78, believe it was made in 71. I traded a hard starting Husquvarna chainsaw for the gun, dies, 1 box of bullets, a pair of Carhart coveralls and 1 pr of leather gloves. Pretty good trade, I hated that chainsaw, took longer to start it than it did to cut wood.