Sign in to follow this  
IA Born

Fishing Outfit Rant

I rarely ever post my dirty laundry, and I hate bringing outfitter businesses to public light in a bad way, but this situation has me beyond mad (family friendly choice of words). After you read this, feel free to tell me if I'm missing something, if I'm in the wrong, if I'm overreacting, or need to just suck it up and quit crying.

A couple of months ago, I convinced my wife to take off and do some flyfishing on the San Juan River over in New Mexico while our kids were at summer camp down near Prescott. We don't have any family in Arizona that can watch our kids and the nearest person we trust them with is 2.5 hours away and just as busy, so coordinating a weekend away for us is a huge undertaking. Kids at camp for two weeks is the perfect scenario for us. I'd heard nothing but good things about fishing with Fisheads, so I booked a 3-night, 2-day fishing trip for me and my wife right before the July 4 weekend, while our kids were at summer camp. A week ago today, when the Goodwin Fire erupted down south of Prescott, AZ, threatening our kids' camp. We had to cancel our trip because of a mandatory evacuation notice to get all kids out of camp on the day we were supposed to leave (June 29). We called and told our story and pleaded our case, knowing that we were within the 2-week cancellation period, per their policy. To be fair, they were nice enough to not charge us for our room and said they wouldn't make any profit, but they had to pay their guides for the booked trip and, therefore charge us $250/day. Again, I plead our case of extenuating circumstances and that we had nobody to watch our kids. We tried to rebook for our next available weekend, which isn't until October due to teaching hunter ed, flying back to Iowa to finally bury my mom, soccer commitments, Taekwando commitments, elk hunt, etc. (you get the picture). The manager was adamant that wouldn't book that far out, again citing their unwavering policy. I again explained that we had no choice and that our kids' lives were in danger and the manager said she understood, but cited the cancellation policy again and told me that the owner was unwavering, albeit understanding, apparently. Then she had the nerve to tell me that paying their guides so they could feed their kids was just as important as us getting our kids out of harm's way. I told her that its apparent that they are really only concerned about money and that the compassion she expressed in the first part of our phone call only went so far and had a limit. Making sure their guides got paid so their guides could feed their kids was way more important than our kids' lives. The manager told me we'd be refunded if they were able to fill those slots in our absence, but its the sheer lack of humanity and understanding of what has, perhaps, been the scariest thing I've had to deal with as a father. Even the former wildland firefighter in me couldn't stay calm and not worry about my kids' lives. The manager even told me that their cancellation policy was one of the most lenient in the area; however, I found an outfit today that states clearly that cancellations will be considered on a case-by-case basis. That outfil will get my money in the future. I will never book with Fisheads and a few friends of mine have already said they'll never go there, based solely on this experience. Based on advice from a friend, I called Cabela's tonight, told them my story, and put a hold on the $500 payment while the charges are being disupted. I realize I may lose the dispute and, ultimately, pay the $500, but it will now be up to 90 days before they see their money, if they get it.

Am I being petty or childish here or am I justified in being extremely upset in how this was handled? I calmly explained that this wasn't my first rodeo booking a fishing trip and I fully understood the reasoning behind their cancellation policy, but it was the total lack of empathy for what I consider to be among the most extenuating of extenuating circumstances that upset me.

Good, bad, or indifferent, thanks for at least letting me rant and get this off my chest. Now I can more calmly figure out when I can book a trip this early fall with Blue Sky Fly Fishing Co.!

She really could have done the right thing and handled that differently. You said it best, more compassion would have been nice. You have a right to be upset. Very unique circumstance and she should have been more understanding.

It's a bummer but hard to hold it against them. Guiding is a rough business and they have to deal with all manor of cancelations. 2 weeks before they may not fill the spots and they are out the revenue.

Just be thankful the kids are good and you'll be ready to go again soon.

Ya it sucks but it is a business, the policy is there because it happens enough that if all were refunded they would not be in business.

• Like 1

I look at it like drawing a Elk tag in a unit that has a closure due to a fire at the time of the hunt. Does AZGF refund your money and bonus points?

• Like 2

You had to pay in full when you booked the trip? that's kinda different. I would think if there's no exchange of goods or services they can't charge you

It sucks that you lost out on your trip and for a reason that you had no control over, but it wasn't their fault either. May not seem fair for you to have pay for a trip you didn't get, but no less fair than their business eating the entire bill for something that wasn't their fault. In your rant you said they were only concerned about money. Well what did you lose besides money? You traded some money for a chance to protect your kids. Doesn't sound like a bad trade to me!

• Like 2

I see both sides. AS a business owner with very strict policies(by law I am required to do certain things), I can understand their position. The questions you did not answer was a) did they have a written policy B) did you agree to it c) did you violate it. (actually we already know "c")

I also have to ask, if it was for a reason other than your kids, would you have expected a refund? Granted, that is hypothetical but to their point, a cancelled booking is a cancelled booking. Trust me, I have heard EVERY excuse in the book and all from the movie made from the book. I have heard it ALL. At some point as a business owner you just have to draw the line in the sand and say no to EVERYONE.

In your defense, I think their "reasoning" for not working with you is poor. If they stuck to their policy of "no refunds period" and didn't bring up "feeding their kids", I would actually have more respect for them.

I understand your hurt feelings, but I do think it unfair to hold it against them. You may not like them and not do business with them, but I don't think they did anything "wrong".

On the flip side, wouldn't it have been nice for them to say yes and for you to be singing their praises....

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just pick up the kids and take them fishing?

• Like 2

Guest oneshot

Two words whenever booking ANY fishing/hunting services... Trip Insurance...